Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US Airways Flt 1549 Crashed in Hudson River

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Plane crashes in NYC river after bird cuts engines
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090115/ap_on_re_us/plane_in_river

Well, it had to be more than one bird. Each engine is mechanically independent. If one bird took out both engines, then Airbus needs to rethink the independence of the engines.

Earlier I saw of the plane was just the tip of the tail protruding from the water, but now it looks like they might be trying to raise the aircraft a bit.

It appears that the passengers and crew were rescued, but that's not official yet as it just happened in the last couple of hours.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2
    NYT confirms.

US Airways Jet Ditches in Hudson; All Reported Safe

4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    hmm I thought the engineers throw frozen chickens into the engines.

5. Jan 15, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then someone should stop them - it nearly caused a tragedy!

If you hit a flock of birds it could take out both engines - just bad luck.

Might reprise my opinion of the pointlessness of lifevests. The strike happened as the plane was taking off and a only a few minutes before it 'landed', so they would have to have put on the life jackets as the plane hit the water. That means for a plane with under-wing engines it did a pretty good job of staying in one piece and upright. It seems that everybody got out this OK.

The 767 that crashed off Ethopia in 1996 broke up - although it was being hijacked and was out of fuel so not an easy emergency landing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. Jan 15, 2009 #5

Borek

Incredible that nobody get hurt. To some extent that means that all these frozen chicken experiments pay off.

7. Jan 15, 2009 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

Amazing picture, those people must have been scared for their lives.

8. Jan 15, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Odd that nobody seems to be wearing a lifejacket - I certainly would have grabbed one on my way out.
    Sensible to stay on the wing as well, the East River has incredible currents and it isn't going to be warm this time of year.

9. Jan 15, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Apparently all passengers and crew are safe.

Kudos to the pilot who landed that plane, without engines!

The temperature of the water is about 32 F, near freezing, and the air is about 15F. They wouldn't last long in that water.

10. Jan 15, 2009 #9

Astronuc

The plane crashed in the Hudson River, which is on the west side of Manhattan. The plane had just cleared Manhattan (NY City)! It went down near the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Museum. The fact that it was the Hudson River means there are quite a few boats, particularly ferries, which could respond. In the East River, there are not so many boats nearby.

11. Jan 15, 2009 #10
    What a great job the pilot did. I was listening to a few passengers talk about being bounced around and hitting the ceiling of the cabin, other reports being injuries reminiscent of auto accidents.

We now have a great record of zero fatalities from commercial airlines, in the past 2 years.

12. Jan 15, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The BBC have corrected their caption.
    Of course that explains standing on the wing - they were afraid of drifting to New Jersey.

13. Jan 15, 2009 #12

wolram

Gold Member

It would have to be a flock of birds, and big one's to take out both engines, the fact that the aircraft looks intact says some thing to the skill of the pilot and the robustness of the aircraft.

14. Jan 15, 2009 #13

EL

Science Advisor

Most passengers seem to be very thankful to the pilot, and God! I guess they give credit to the second guy for the rollercoster ride, or what?

15. Jan 15, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Odd that insurance companies blame God when something bad happens and everyone else thanks God when anyone survives.

16. Jan 15, 2009 #15

wolram

Gold Member

What sort of birds do you have that flock this time of year in that area?

17. Jan 15, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Seagulls are always a risk, but geese are a lot more massive and more destructive.

18. Jan 15, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously they didn't hit a flock of frozen chickens!

Amazing that no one was seriously hurt or killed.

19. Jan 15, 2009 #18

Astronuc

Could be gulls or Canada geese. Just north of NY City are a series of reservoirs that supply NY City. They usually have flocks of geese on them. With the exceedingly cold weather (we're supposed to be below 0 F tonight), the remaining birds have flown further south.

Up near where I live, the Hudson River is mostly covered in ice several inches thick, which in some cases might be 6-8 inches (15-20 cm). The ice is broken from ships and barge traffic, so it's very jagged.

20. Jan 15, 2009 #19
    Looney!?

21. Jan 15, 2009 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Some people think so :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?