Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of method of undetermined coefficients

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    Use of "method of undetermined coefficients"

Hi all,

Suppose I have a equation

[tex]f(z+1) - f(z) = z^{1/2} , \forall z \geq 0 [/tex]eq (1)

then is it possible to solve this equation by the method of undetermined coefficients ?

It is usually seen in textbooks that the forcing function is taken to be sinusoidal or polynomial or exponential when the method of undetermined coefficients is used. Why is this so ? What kind of properties must the forcing function satisfy so that this method can be used ?

In the above eq (1), if suppose I assume that f(z) is say
    [tex]c_{1} z^{1/2} + c_{2} + c_{3} z^{-1/2} + \cdots[/tex]
    and then substitute in eq (1),
    then can I do a Taylor series expansion for an arbitrarily large z ?
    for eg :
    [tex]c_{1} (z + 1)^{1/2} = c_{1} z^{1/2} * (1 + \frac{1}{z})^{1/2}[/tex]

and then expand out the 1 + .. term in a Taylor series expansion ?

Does this lead to a series solution ?

Thanks in advance for spending your time on this

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Use of "method of undetermined coefficients"

Essentially because those are the kind of solution you would expect for a linear difference (or differential) equation with constant coefficients because a linear operator with constant coefficients will map those kinds of functions into themselves. If the "forcing function" (more physics terminology- Bah!) is not of that kind you cannot use the "method of undetermined coefficients" because you cannot expect the correct function to be a square root. You will need to use something like "variation of parameters".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook