Use of tensor densities / pseudo tensors in physics

In summary, the article defines densities of weight W as densities of weight 1/2 on a vector space, but does not show an example of how to do this.
burakumin
Hello

I've sometime read physics texts that mention tensor densities (or pseudo-tensors). I find they are quite an ugly notion and I'm not sure to understand their necessity in physics. I have realized that tensor densities with an integer weight can be expressed differently with standard tensors and that the use of pseudotensors in this context is only a sort of "simplification of notation". But i'd really like to know if tensor densities with non-integer weights are really used in physics and in which context.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Two most used tensor densities: [tex]\det g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] and Levi-Civita symbol.

Thank you netheril96 but I'm asking about tensor densities with non integer weights. To me things like [itex]\det(g)[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{i_1i_2\ldots{}i_n}[/itex] can be thought as real tensors. I'm looking for entities really used in physics that could not be seen this way.

Should this question be asked in the relativity forum as tensor calculus is frequent in this field ?

burakumin said:
Thank you netheril96 but I'm asking about tensor densities with non integer weights. To me things like [itex]\det(g)[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{i_1i_2\ldots{}i_n}[/itex] can be thought as real tensors. I'm looking for entities really used in physics that could not be seen this way.

Should this question be asked in the relativity forum as tensor calculus is frequent in this field ?

My bad. I personally have never encountered any tensor density of non-integer weight.

Wavefunctions in quantum mechanics are "densities of weight 1/2". (Google the quoted phrase.)

robphy said:
Wavefunctions in quantum mechanics are "densities of weight 1/2". (Google the quoted phrase.)

Googled, and nothing interesting showed up.

And why are wavefunctions tensor densities?

robphy said:

I'm not sure to understand why tensor terminology would be relevant in the case of Wavefunctions.

netheril96 said:
I personally have never encountered any tensor density of non-integer weight.

Ok. The article in wikipedia says "The transformations for even and odd tensor densities have the benefit of being well defined even when W is not an integer" but does not show any example of such objects. So I was wondering about their usefullness. The books I've skimed that mentioned tensor densities were a bit old so I guess this is not concept widely used anymore.

consult
Geroch's "Geometrical Quantum Mechanics",
III Quantum Mechanics
14. Densities. Integrals.
15. States

robphy said:
consult
Geroch's "Geometrical Quantum Mechanics",
III Quantum Mechanics
14. Densities. Integrals.
15. States

Ok. The definition given for densities of weight W (W-homogenous applications from the maximum exterior power to a tensor space) is interesting and much cleaner than anything I've read before. Still I'm wondering if it is possible for a given (complex ?) vector space to define its "tensorial square root" so that densities of weights 1/2 could be defined as tensors on that space...

burakumin said:
W-homogenous applications from the maximum exterior power to a tensor space ...

I've suddenly realized something : using the definition of the article, tensor densities are ill-defined for numbers [itex]\alpha < 0[/itex] as [itex]\alpha^s[/itex] has no meaning for [itex]s \not \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. And considering complex numbers does not solve the problem given that there is no unique possible solution ...

1. What are tensor densities / pseudo tensors?

Tensor densities and pseudo tensors are mathematical objects used in physics to describe quantities that exhibit both tensor and scalar properties under coordinate transformations. They are important in general relativity and other fields of physics where the laws of nature must remain unchanged under different coordinate systems.

2. How are tensor densities / pseudo tensors different from tensors?

Unlike tensors, which transform according to the rules of tensor transformation, tensor densities and pseudo tensors transform with an additional term that accounts for the change in volume element under coordinate transformations. This extra term allows them to remain invariant under coordinate transformations.

3. What is the significance of using tensor densities / pseudo tensors in physics?

Tensor densities and pseudo tensors play a crucial role in formulating the laws of physics in a coordinate-independent manner. They allow us to express physical quantities in a way that is independent of the coordinate system being used, making them essential in theories like general relativity.

4. How are tensor densities / pseudo tensors used in general relativity?

In general relativity, tensor densities and pseudo tensors are used to define the stress-energy tensor, which describes the energy and momentum distribution of matter and radiation in spacetime. They are also used in the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

5. Are there any practical applications of tensor densities / pseudo tensors?

Tensor densities and pseudo tensors have many practical applications in physics, including in electromagnetism, hydrodynamics, and quantum field theory. They are also used in engineering and computer science for tasks such as image processing and pattern recognition.