Use the definition of a parabola and the distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
r-soy
Messages
170
Reaction score
1
Hi all

Use the definition of a parabola and the distance formula to find the equation of a parabola with

a ) directix x = -4 and focus (2,2 )
B ) directix x = 2 and focus (6,-4 )


How i solve like this queation please hle me the steps to solve that

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi r-soy! :wink:
r-soy said:
Hi all

Use the definition of a parabola and the distance formula to find the equation of a parabola with

a ) directix x = -4 and focus (2,2 )
B ) directix x = 2 and focus (6,-4 )


How i solve like this queation please hle me the steps to solve that

thanks

First, write out the definition of a parabola, and the distance formula …

what are they? :smile:​
 
r-soy said:
hhhh what is the formula ??

The "distance formula"?

I've no idea … you mentioned it. :confused:
 
Mark44 said:
Aww, I'll bet you're just being coy, tiny-tim.:biggrin:

uhh? oh, for a moment i thought you said "koi"! :blushing:

no, i really don't know which formula is being referred to (i'll guess it has something to do with the focus or the directrix)
 
Here's the definition: A parabola is the set of all points equidistant from a fixed point (the focus) and a fixed line (the directrix).

The distance formula is the plain old distance formula we all know and love.
 
Mark44 said:
The distance formula is the plain old distance formula we all know and love.

uhhh? do you mean Pythagoras? :confused:
 
As I see it first the distance between the point (x,y) and (2,2) [The focus] can be expressed

[tex]\sqrt{(x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2} = 2+y[/tex]

which can be simplified to to find the expression for the parabol in case a..

Which gives us

[tex]y = \frac{x^2-4x+4}{8}[/tex] as the expression for the parabola in case a).

Susanne
 
Last edited:
Very good. However, I wonder if r-soy ever tried to do that, or if he even knows the definition of "parabola".
 
HallsofIvy said:
Very good. However, I wonder if r-soy ever tried to do that, or if he even knows the definition of "parabola".

If not there is magically place out there called The Google and The Wikipedia which can give the definition of both the parabola and how and why to use the formula which I used in the above post.

But I say thanks for the compliment HallsoftIvy. Now I will sleep well knowing that the great HallsoftIvy gave me a thumbs up for my work for once :D

Have a nice day...

I consider Pre-Calculus to be High School level Math. But some of problems posted in Pre-Calculus are like Post Calculus and even post-Real Analysis here. Is it because what's Pre-Calculus in one country isn't the same all over?
 
Last edited: