Useful mathematics courses for a career?

• Math
  • Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date
I have one year left until I get my mathematics degree (applied). I am probably going to go to graduate school, but if I didn't what courses would you recommend I take? Maybe in general but more specifically for a job in a STEM field. I'm currently thinking of complex variables and vector calculus but I need three total.

Advanced Calculus 1/2
Complex Variables
Vector Calculus
Numerical Analysis 2 (1 is taken as a requirement)
Game Theory
Optimization
Calculus of variations
PDE 2
Applied linear algebra 2

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've made more of my living over my career with numerical analysis than any other math course.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I've made more of my living over my career with numerical analysis than any other math course.
Tell us how which courses helped you in your Numerical Analysis course.

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Tell us how which courses helped you in your Numerical Analysis course.
I'm not sure I understand the question, so if my answer is not what you were hoping for, please rephrase.

The numerical analysis course I had built upon calculus, linear algebra, diff eq, and programming. It basically taught us how to solve a broad array of problems using programming to implement the standard numerical methods. We didn't use it, but from there, it was simple to implement anything in "Numerical Recipes in C" and to know what was going on in just about any available numerical analysis library package or toolkit.