1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Useful mathematics courses for a career?

1. Mar 28, 2017 #1
    I have one year left until I get my mathematics degree (applied). I am probably going to go to graduate school, but if I didn't what courses would you recommend I take? Maybe in general but more specifically for a job in a STEM field. I'm currently thinking of complex variables and vector calculus but I need three total.

Advanced Calculus 1/2
    Complex Variables
    Vector Calculus
    Numerical Analysis 2 (1 is taken as a requirement)
    Game Theory
    Optimization
    Calculus of variations
    PDE 2
    Applied linear algebra 2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2
    I've made more of my living over my career with numerical analysis than any other math course.

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Tell us how which courses helped you in your Numerical Analysis course.

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4
    I'm not sure I understand the question, so if my answer is not what you were hoping for, please rephrase.

The numerical analysis course I had built upon calculus, linear algebra, diff eq, and programming. It basically taught us how to solve a broad array of problems using programming to implement the standard numerical methods. We didn't use it, but from there, it was simple to implement anything in "Numerical Recipes in C" and to know what was going on in just about any available numerical analysis library package or toolkit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted