1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics courses useful in engineering, data analysis and modeling

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am currently pursuing my degree in Mechanical Engineering, and was wondering what math courses were good to take after the basic math sequence has been completed (Calculus 1-3, Differential Eq & Linear Algebra.).

I have an interest in mathematical modeling and data analysis, as well as having enouph math to cover some advanced topics in engineering, as well as physics. My school offers a concurrent degree in Engineering mathematics, where you take an additional 14 credits in math of your choosing from the following subjects:

Applied Combinatorics (3 credits)
    Computing with Mathematica (3 credits)
    Topics in Mathematics (1-3 credits)
    Dynamical Systems (3 credits)
    Integral Equations (3 credits)
    First Course in Modern Algebra (3 credits)
    Linear Algebra (3 credits)
    Stochastic Processes (3 credits)
    Mathematical Statistics II (3 credits)
    Advanced Calculus I (3 credits)
    Advanced Calculus II (3 credits)
    Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems (3 credits)
    Introduction to Wavelets (3 credits)
    Mathematical Modeling (3 credits)
    Introduction to Numerical Analysis (3 credits)
    Matrix Computation (3 credits)
    Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations (3 credits)
    Approximations of Functions (3 credits)
    Partial Differential Equations (3 credits)
    Linear Algebra with Applications (3 credits)
    Functions of a Complex Variable with Applications (3 credits)
    Computer Algebra Systems (3 credits)
    Discrete Systems (3 credits)
    Applied and Algorithmic Graph Theory (3 credits)
    Topics in Mathematics and Statistics (3 credits)

Doing some research I read that partial differential equations is good to take, so ile probably be taking that, as well as mathematical modeling (the name matches the interest). I am wondering about Advanced Calculus 1& 2. I also heard for physics it is good to take Forier and Boundary problems.

In your opinion given my interests what sould i take?

EDIT:

Please give second/third choice in case it is not being offered this semseter.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2
    PDE will be the next logical one. PDE should cover Fourier series, Fourier Transform and Laplace Transform. I know the PDE class in San Jose State does.

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the response, I just found out my University is not giving PDE this semester :(

5. Sep 3, 2013 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A good engineer stays away from calculus whenever possible. I have met many from all disciplines, and none have ever used it directly. Oddly enough, however, Calc 1 thru 3 anfd Diffy Q are essential to becoming an engineer of quality. Beyond that, higher math is not a huge necessity, unless you want to become a prof.
    I took Theory of Elasticity in Grad school with 4 blackboards full of PDE's wall to wall (if you know what a blackboard is) required to determine the stress concentration factor at a hole in the center of a flat plate subject to tensile forces. The answer was 3. I memorized it. The PDE's nearly made me quit going into Engineering. Fortunately, it's not like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook