Usefulness of a Bach. of Mathematics in engineering

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
cambo86
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'm studying engineering at the moment and within the degree there is only 3 compulsory courses of maths. I love maths and would like to get a bachelor of mathematics but I was wondering how useful it would be to a job in engineering.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's pretty nice to be extra good at calculus and linear algebra and have a bit of mathematical maturity, which getting a math major will do for you. A lot of engineers don't end up using it much, but it depends on what job you end up with. It opens up some doors. If you find it interesting, you can try to aim for a more mathematically-oriented engineering job.

I was an EE student who switched majors to math (now finishing PhD in math), by the way.
 
Mathematics and the other subjects within engineering all compliment each other. Even though some are not directly related they do open your mind and make you more capable in general.

I noticed this when I did advanced eng maths a while ago. It really helped me to power through fluid mech and also thermodynamics.

Funnily enough I'm now doing a masters in eng and will probably move to do a PhD in physics in a few years.

In terms of relevance to a job in eng. Not much is the answer. The calc they get you to do in eng is enough to handle the job in the real world. It's only if you're going to get into the research and all that you will require advanced knowledge.
 
cambo86 said:
I'm studying engineering at the moment and within the degree there is only 3 compulsory courses of maths. I love maths and would like to get a bachelor of mathematics but I was wondering how useful it would be to a job in engineering.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Pretty much useless for a great many engineering jobs, but that's not to say it's not something that you will find personal enjoyment out of. Everything you do doesn't have to be in aid of a future career.