1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Usefulness of a Bach. of Mathematics in engineering

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    I'm studying engineering at the moment and within the degree there is only 3 compulsory courses of maths. I love maths and would like to get a bachelor of mathematics but I was wondering how useful it would be to a job in engineering.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2
    I think it's pretty nice to be extra good at calculus and linear algebra and have a bit of mathematical maturity, which getting a math major will do for you. A lot of engineers don't end up using it much, but it depends on what job you end up with. It opens up some doors. If you find it interesting, you can try to aim for a more mathematically-oriented engineering job.

I was an EE student who switched majors to math (now finishing PhD in math), by the way.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    Mathematics and the other subjects within engineering all compliment each other. Even though some are not directly related they do open your mind and make you more capable in general.

I noticed this when I did advanced eng maths a while ago. It really helped me to power through fluid mech and also thermodynamics.

Funnily enough I'm now doing a masters in eng and will probably move to do a PhD in physics in a few years.

In terms of relevance to a job in eng. Not much is the answer. The calc they get you to do in eng is enough to handle the job in the real world. It's only if you're gonna get into the research and all that you will require advanced knowledge.

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4
    Pretty much useless for a great many engineering jobs, but that's not to say it's not something that you will find personal enjoyment out of. Everything you do doesn't have to be in aid of a future career.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook