Uses of a silicon semiconductor at high temperatures

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment that was conducted to measure the resistance variation of a silicon sample at different temperatures. The team also discovered the energy gap of the sample and compared it with a model called "intrinsic conduction." They were unable to find information about this model and its relevance, as most searches only brought up information about intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors. The model is based on a pure superconductor with a bandgap and thermal excitations following a Boltzmann distribution. It is only accurate at high temperatures, as impurities dominate the conduction at lower temperatures.
JMFL
We conducted an experiment in which we found the variation in the resistance of a fairly pure silicon sample between temperatures of about 400K to 600K, and we found a value for the energy gap of silicon of our sample. We were comparing the resistance variation with the model:

##R=R_0e^{\frac{E_g}{2k_BT}}##

Firstly, does anyone know what the name of this model is? I have spent several hours trying to find out about this model (unfortunately it is not possible for me to ask my practical demonstartor) to no avail. This model also predicts that this relationship will only be followed when the temperature of the semiconductor is sufficiently high- within the 'intrinsic region'. However all of my searches about the 'intrinsic region' of a semiconductor simply come back with intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors. Nothing about the 'intrinsic region'.

Also, I am trying to figure out why such information may be important. I know silicon as a semiconductor has many applications for example in detecting the temperature, however I have not come across any examples of devices that would use the properties of silicon at such a high temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"intrinsic conduction" or something like that could lead to results. The model is simply a pure superconductor with a bandgap, and thermal excitations following a Boltzmann distribution with one state in the valence band and one in the conduction band.

The semiconductor has to be hot for that model to be accurate, at lower temperatures impurities (as doping) dominate the conduction.

Likes Electron Spin and JMFL

1. What is a silicon semiconductor?

A silicon semiconductor is a material that has electrical properties between those of a conductor and an insulator. It is made up of silicon atoms, which are arranged in a crystalline lattice structure and can conduct electricity when exposed to certain conditions.

2. Why is silicon used as a semiconductor at high temperatures?

Silicon has a high melting point and can withstand high temperatures without losing its structural integrity. It also has a stable band gap, which allows it to maintain its semiconducting properties at high temperatures.

3. What are the main uses of a silicon semiconductor at high temperatures?

Silicon semiconductors are commonly used in high-temperature applications such as power electronics, sensors, and integrated circuits. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and oil and gas, where high temperatures are present.

4. How does a silicon semiconductor behave at high temperatures?

At high temperatures, the conductivity of a silicon semiconductor increases, allowing it to conduct more current. However, it also experiences increased leakage and reduced carrier mobility, which can affect its performance in certain applications.

5. What are the advantages of using a silicon semiconductor at high temperatures?

One of the main advantages of using a silicon semiconductor at high temperatures is its compatibility with existing manufacturing processes, making it cost-effective and readily available. It also has a wide range of applications and can maintain its performance at high temperatures for extended periods.