Using Bernoulli to find volume of water to pass through hole

In summary, a fresh water dam with a depth of 15 m has a horizontal pipe with a diameter of 4 cm passing through it at a depth of 6 m. When the plug securing the opening of the pipe is removed, water volume exits the pipe in 3 hours. Using Bernoulli's equation, with position 1 at the water surface and position 2 at the outlet with a height of 0, the velocity of the water exiting the pipe can be calculated. Alternatively, position 1 can be chosen as the full height of the water (15 m) and position 2 as the height of the water in the pipe (9 m). The final answer for the water volume exiting the pipe is 147 m
mm2424

Homework Statement

Consider the fresh water damn shown in the picture (attached below). The water behind the dam has depth D = 15 m. A horizontal pipe 4 cm in diameter passes through the dam at depth d = 6 m. A plug secures the opening. The plug is removed. Water water volume exits the pipe in 3 hours?

Homework Equations

p(atmosphere) + ρgh1 + 1/2ρ(v1)^2 = p(atmosphere) + ρgh2 + 1/2ρ(v2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm treating the left side of the equation as the water in the reservoir and the right hand of the equation as the water flowing through the hole.

I began by simplifying Bernoulli's equation, cancelling out the p(atmosphere) and the density of water. I also remove the 1/2(v1)^2 term, assuming v1 is very small:

gh1 = gh2 + 1/2(v2)^2

I start to get confused in terms of the heights I should be using here.

Is h1 the full height of the water (15 m)? The answer key in my book seems to treat h1 as the full height of the water (15 m), but that confuses me, since it seems like the center of mass of the water would only be 7.5 m up.

I assume h2 is the height of the water in the pipe, which is about 9 m (15 m - 6 m).

I'm confused because if I trust my reasoning and use the center of mass of the water, v2 is negative, which of course makes no sense.

Am I missing something here? Is there some reason why I should consider h1 to be 15 m, despite the fact that most of the water isn't really 15 m up?

Thanks!

(ps, v2 is supposed to be 10.84 m/s^s, making the final answer 147 m^3.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-18 at 3.36.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-18 at 3.36.37 PM.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In using Bernoulli's equation, place position 1 at the water surface where the height is considered d as shown in your picture. Choose position 2 at the outlet with the height being zero. In the end you subtract the water heights when you solve for V2.

Or you can choose h1 as D then follow up by choosing h2 as D-d. When you move the D-d to the left hand side of the equation, D cancels out and you're left with d as above.

Your choice of zero for the velocity (V1) at the free surface is correct.

I see, so then it is ok to ignore the water below the pipe, since we're setting the pipe's height to be 0. However, should we still consider the height of the water outside the pipe as being d and not d/2? Why don't we need to consider the center of the mass of the water? It seems like using a height of d assumes that all of the water is at height d, whereas the center of mass is lower. Granted, I could be really messing this up...

It is a reservoir. One must assume the level does not drop. The height is d, not d/2. Pessure is density times depth. The pressure difference is what causes the fluid to move.

)
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I can understand your confusion regarding the heights used in Bernoulli's equation. Let me try to clarify it for you.

In this case, h1 should indeed be the full height of the water (15 m). This is because Bernoulli's equation considers the total energy at two different points in the fluid flow, and the height is a measure of potential energy. Therefore, h1 represents the potential energy of the water in the reservoir, which is at a height of 15 m from the reference point (usually taken as the ground).

On the other hand, h2 represents the potential energy of the water in the pipe, which is at a height of 9 m from the reference point. This is because the water in the pipe is at a lower height compared to the water in the reservoir.

I can see why you thought about using the center of mass of the water as the height in the equation. However, this would only be applicable if we were considering the pressure at a specific point in the water, rather than the overall potential energy of the water.

I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Keep up the good work with your problem-solving skills!

1. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to finding the volume of water passing through a hole?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This principle can be applied to calculate the volume of water passing through a hole by using the equation: Volume = Area x Velocity x Time. This is because the faster the water flows, the lower the pressure will be, allowing more water to pass through the hole in a given time.

2. What information is needed to use Bernoulli's principle to find the volume of water passing through a hole?

In order to use Bernoulli's principle to find the volume of water passing through a hole, you will need to know the area of the hole, the velocity of the water, and the time it takes for the water to pass through the hole. These values can be measured or calculated using other known variables.

3. Can Bernoulli's principle be used for any shape or size of hole?

Yes, Bernoulli's principle can be applied to any shape or size of hole as long as the area of the hole, velocity of the water, and time are known. However, it is important to note that the shape and size of the hole may affect the velocity of the water and the resulting volume passing through the hole.

4. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's principle to find the volume of water passing through a hole?

While Bernoulli's principle can provide a general estimation of the volume of water passing through a hole, there are certain limitations to its application. Factors such as turbulence, viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of other forces may affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, this principle assumes that the fluid is incompressible and the flow is steady, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using Bernoulli's principle to find the volume of water passing through a hole?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of using Bernoulli's principle to find the volume of water passing through a hole. One example is in the design and testing of water turbines, where the volume of water passing through the turbine blades is crucial for its efficiency. This principle is also used in industries such as plumbing and irrigation to calculate the flow rate of water through pipes and nozzles.