Solving Energy Concept Problem: Masses m1, m2, m3 Speed of m3 After 2.5m

In summary, the masses have the same speed when the system is released, and the lighter object falls because it has more kinetic energy. The total energy available is 367.5 joules.
BunDa4Th
Three objects with masses m1 = 4.0 kg, m2 = 10.0 kg, and m3 = 15.0 kg, respectively, are attached by strings over frictionless pulleys, as indicated in Figure P5.32. The horizontal surface is frictionless and the system is released from rest. Using energy concepts, find the speed of m3 after it moves down a distance of 2.5 m.

p5-32.gif

Okay, I am lost at this. At first I thought this was a simple problem using
V^2 = 2adeltaX which apparently is not, if it is then i am doing something wrong. I read on the conservative energy in the book I am using and understand a bit of it but not sure where to start.

I seriously don't know where to start or what i am doing right now. I seem to enter number randomly sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all you should realize that all the masses have the same speed because the wire is unstretchable. Next, try to imagine what happens when the system is released. Because M3 is heavier than M1, and because the horizontal surface is frictionless, M3 will fall.

Now, when I solve problems like this I think to myself: "What puts a limit to the speed of M3". The anwer is the kinetic energy gained by M2, and the potential energy gained by M1 when it moves up. So you find the total energy available (which would be M3*g*2.5), and subtract the energies due to the limiting factors. This gives you the total energy available to the kinetic energy of M3.

the protential energy for m1 would be 98

the total energy available is 367.5

I am not sure how to find the kinetic energy of m2 since KE = 1/2mv^2 not knowing what v is how would i go about solving this?

can anyone explain how this problem work in simple terms?

Just write the complete equation:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}M_3 v^2 = M_3 g \Delta h - \frac{1}{2}M_2 v^2 - M_1 g \Delta h
[/tex]

Where the term om the left is the kinetic energy of M3 (the one you want to calculate), the first term on the right is the total energy available (with [tex]\Delta h=2.5m[/tex], the second term is the kinetic energy of M2 and the last term is the potential energy increase of M1. So you get an equation with only one unknown.

You don't have to know v of M2, because it is the same v as for M3.

The concept would be the same even if the horizontal surface was not frictionless. Then you would just subtract the energy delivered to the surface due to friction as well, and this energy would be the the frictional force times the distance traveled (2.5m).

thanks for explaining this. I now know what mistake i made. I was trying to solve everything on its own instead of making it into one equation.

thanks again.

okay i did this problem and it said i was incorrect.

(1/2)15v^2 = (15)(9.8)(2.5) - 1/2(10)v^2 - (4)(9.8)(2.5)

7.5v^2 = 367.5 - 5v^2 - 98

12.5v^2 = 269.5

v^2 = 21.56

v = 4.64

It said that it was within 10% of the correct answer. Can anyone point out the mistake i made?

well, i gave this problem another try thinking maybe i input "g" wrong for one of them, which still gave me the wrong answer. I am really confuse what i am doing wrong here.

anyone? I tried using this

KE_i + PE_i = KE_f + PE_f which i think is the same thing as the above formula but for some reason when i did this equation i got a whole completely different number.

Hey... I think you should subtract the kinetic energy gained by M1 as well. It does indeed have a kinetic energy when M3 has fallen a distance of 2.5m... Sorry, I forgot about this :-)

Yea, i was able to figure this out after I realize something was missing after about 5 tries. Thanks for setting me to the right track.

1. What is the formula for solving energy concept problems?

The formula for solving energy concept problems is E = mgh, where E represents energy, m represents mass, g represents acceleration due to gravity, and h represents height.

2. How do I calculate the speed of an object using energy concepts?

To calculate the speed of an object using energy concepts, you can use the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE represents kinetic energy, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

3. How do I approach a problem involving multiple masses and their speeds?

First, identify the masses involved and their respective speeds. Then, use the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. Set up equations using the formulas mentioned in the previous questions and solve for the unknown variables.

4. What assumptions can I make when solving energy concept problems?

When solving energy concept problems, it is assumed that there is no external force acting on the system, and there is no energy lost due to friction or other factors. It is also assumed that all the energy is converted into either potential or kinetic energy.

5. How do I know if my answer is reasonable when solving energy concept problems?

To ensure that your answer is reasonable, compare it to the initial and final values of energy in the system. The total energy should remain constant, and the final values should match the given conditions in the problem. Additionally, your answer should also make sense in terms of the physical laws and principles involved.