Using Equipartition theory to solve the root mean square of a angle.

In summary: This theorem states that the total energy of a system is the sum of the energy of its individual particles. So in this case, the average potential energy of the mirror is:In summary, James said that the total energy of the mirror system is the sum of the energy of its individual particles, and the average potential energy of the mirror is the same whether the mirror is in a small flask of helium at temperature T, or in an large room filled with air at temperature T.
Jameskd
Homework Statement
Any tips on how to solve this?
Relevant Equations
1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2
3/2nRT = E
1604952296236.png
For the first question, i believe that mechanical energy is conserved hence we can derive the total energy i think. In regards to the second question, I'm assuming its at room temperature, so helium is monotonic therefore it has 3 degrees of freedom, therefore its internal energy is 3/2KT. I am unsure how this relates to the question.

Finally for part c, this is a shot in the dark, but the average kinetic energy of helium is 3/2NKT , so if equate 3/2NKT = 1/2(torsion constant)(torsion angle)^2 and solve for it i end up getting something that doesn't make sense.

Likes Delta2 and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Jameskd said:
In regards to the second question, I'm assuming its at room temperature, so helium is monotonic therefore it has 3 degrees of freedom, therefore its internal energy is 3/2KT. I am unsure how this relates to the question.
Is it a matter of treating the mirror as just another particle in the mix?

Hello, jameskd.

For part (a) I think they want you to answer the following:
What property of a mass on a spring corresponds to ##I## in the energy equation for the mirror?
Similarly for ##\omega## , ##\mu##, and ##\theta##?

For part (b) the fact that the gas in this problem happens to be helium is not relevant. What's important is the number of degrees of freedom of the mirror system, not the number of degrees of freedom of a helium atom. You'll need a clear statement of the equipartition of energy theorem for this part.

Jameskd said:
Finally for part c, this is a shot in the dark, but the average kinetic energy of helium is 3/2NKT , so if equate 3/2NKT = 1/2(torsion constant)(torsion angle)^2 and solve for it i end up getting something that doesn't make sense.
Here it looks like you are equating the total kinetic energy of all of the helium atoms to the potential energy of the mirror system. That would mean that if you doubled the number (N) of helium atoms, the potential energy of the mirror would double. But there is no way for the mirror to "know" how many gas molecules are in its environment. The mirror is going to behave the same whether it's in a small flask of helium at temperature T, or in an large room filled with air at temperature T.

The average potential energy ##\frac 1 2 \mu \langle \theta^2 \rangle## of the mirror can be obtained from the equipartition of energy theorem.

Likes Delta2

What is Equipartition theory?

Equipartition theory is a principle in physics that states that, in a system in thermal equilibrium, the total energy is equally distributed among all degrees of freedom. This means that each degree of freedom, such as the position or velocity of a particle, will have an equal amount of energy on average.

How does Equipartition theory relate to solving the root mean square of an angle?

In the context of solving the root mean square of an angle, equipartition theory can be used to determine the average energy of a system of particles moving in random directions. This average energy is then related to the root mean square of the angle through a mathematical formula.

What is the significance of using Equipartition theory in this context?

Using Equipartition theory allows for a more accurate and precise calculation of the root mean square of an angle, as it takes into account the distribution of energy among all degrees of freedom. This can be especially useful in complex systems with multiple particles and degrees of freedom.

Are there any limitations to using Equipartition theory in solving the root mean square of an angle?

Yes, there are certain assumptions and limitations to using Equipartition theory. It assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium and that all degrees of freedom have the same energy. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold true and can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

Can Equipartition theory be applied to other physical phenomena?

Yes, Equipartition theory is a fundamental principle in physics and can be applied to various systems and phenomena, such as the kinetic theory of gases, the behavior of solids, and the study of thermodynamics. It is a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing the distribution of energy in physical systems.