1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Excel to figure out how much money I could make if I traded my dividends?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    I want to use Excel to figure out how much money, in dividends, I could make if I bought a stock in Microsoft, whose stock has recently stayed at $30-$31. They pay $0.80 in dividends/share.

So far, I have a spreadsheet with columns "Years," "Shares," "Share Cost - Dividends," and "Dividends."

The "Shares" column has the formula shares=1+ROUNDDOWN(((0.8*A4)*B3)/30.5,0.1), the first part of the equation (.8*A4)*B3 representing the dividends paid out to me the previous year.

The "Share Cost - Dividends" column has the formula = (30.5)*# of Shares - Amount in Dividends Paid Out The Last Year.

The "Dividends" column has the formula = (.8*Shares)*Years.

Does this look good or do I need to change anything in the spreadsheet?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would "Shares" require a formula?
    When I plugged your formula into my spreadsheet, my shares dropped from 1000 to 1 by the 4th year. I lost over $30,000! :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook