1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using graphite as a catalyst to break down Ozone

Tags:
  1. Sep 3, 2014 #1
    Can graphite be used as a catalyst to break down ozone into oxygen without serious oxidization?

The applied use for this is to break down ozone at the output of an ionic wind "fan". Similar operation to an ion thruster used by nasa but instead of using stored gasses and propelling them into space, the gasses would be drawn from atmosphere and propelled in a certain direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear why you would think graphite would act to break down ozone. Passing ozone over carbon produces carbon dioxide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone

After all, ozone is a powerful oxidizer, and all that graphite is just waiting to be oxidized.

4. Sep 3, 2014 #3
    You make a fine point sir! Thanks for the quick reply.

I just thought I would ask the obvious, as I have used graphite before as a catalyst in electrolysis of water. But I had a feeling that would take neutral catalysts like platinum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook