Using Kinematics to find the Distance of an object dropped from rest

  • Thread starter Thread starter garcia1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematics Rest
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
garcia1
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A stone is thrown straight up from the ground
with an initial speed of 44.1 m/s . At the same
instant, a stone is dropped from a height of
h meters above ground level. The two stones
strike the ground simultaneously.
Find the height h. The acceleration of
gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of m.


Homework Equations



Kinematics equations, such as V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax, V = Vo +at, x = volt +1/2at^2, and x = 1/2(Vo +V)t


The Attempt at a Solution



I first thought that by plugging the known variables, with V as 0 m/s, into V^2 = Vo^2 +2ax, solving for x. I got x=99.225. This was wrong. I then re-read the statement, thinking that I needed to double my answer, since the object thrown up also had a downward portion before it hit the ground with the falling object. This was x = 198.45m. This was also wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to find the time it takes for the rock thrown upwards to hit the floor again. Using that time, you know that the second rock covered a distance of h in the same amount of time under uniform acceleration.