Using logarithmic differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses using logarithmic differentiation to simplify the expression ln(y)=20[ln(x+sqrt(x))-ln(x^2-2^x)]. The speaker is unsure of what to do at one point and is advised to take the derivative as normal. They also mention bringing Y to the other side and plugging in its value, followed by straightforward differentiation. However, there is a term involving the derivative of x^{2}-2^{x} that causes confusion.
rteng
MATH.jpg

using logarithmic differentiation I can get it to a point where I have...

ln(y)=20[ln(x+sqrt(x))-ln(x^2-2^x)]

I do not know what to do at that point

Physics news on Phys.org
just take the derivative as you normally would

also you will have [tex]\frac{y'}{y}= ...[/tex]

bring Y to the other side and plug in what Y is. the rest is straight forward differentiation.

yeah but then you have a term that is:

[1/(x^2-2^x)]*(2x-d/dy2^x)

thats where I get stuck

i'm not really following

you mean on the [tex] x^{2}-2^{x}[/tex] part? how would you take it's derivative?

[tex] y=((x+sqrt(x))/x^{2}-2^{x})^{20} [/tex]

[tex] lny=20(ln(x+sqrt(x))-ln(x^{2}-2^{x})) [/tex]

[tex] y'/y=(20/(x+sqrt(x))*(1+1/2(x)^{-1/2}))-(20/x^{2}-2^{x})*(2x-derivative of 2^x) [/tex]

yes that part sorry

What is logarithmic differentiation and when is it used?

Logarithmic differentiation is a technique used in calculus to simplify the differentiation of functions that involve products, quotients, or powers. It is typically used when the function is too complex to differentiate using basic differentiation rules.

How do you perform logarithmic differentiation?

To perform logarithmic differentiation, you take the natural logarithm of both sides of the function, then use logarithm rules to simplify the expression. Next, you differentiate both sides using basic differentiation rules, and finally, solve for the derivative in terms of the original function.

What are the benefits of using logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation allows us to differentiate functions that would be difficult or impossible to differentiate using basic rules. It also helps to simplify complex expressions and can be used to find derivatives of functions with multiple variables.

Are there any limitations to using logarithmic differentiation?

While logarithmic differentiation is a useful technique, it can only be applied to functions that are differentiable and have a non-zero value. It also involves more steps and can be more time-consuming than using basic differentiation rules.

Can logarithmic differentiation be used for higher order derivatives?

Yes, logarithmic differentiation can be used to find higher order derivatives by applying the technique multiple times. However, as the degree of the derivative increases, the process can become more complex and time-consuming.