Using Mathematica vs pen and paper in Physics

In summary, the conversation is about the use of pen and paper versus software, particularly for symbolic mathematical computations. The participants discuss the pros and cons of using software, such as SageMath or Mathematica, and whether it makes sense to switch from pen and paper to software. It is noted that while software can be useful for certain tasks, it should not be used as a replacement for pen and paper, but rather as a complement. Additionally, there is a discussion about the capabilities of software, such as being able to plot graphs and handle computational work, and the belief that using software does not make one "dumber" but rather improves their computer problem-solving skills.
ohannuks
Hi!

I'd like to discuss your experiences with pen and paper vs software. Especially young people are welcome to join the discussion :)

I'm wondering if there are people who do *most* of the symbolic calculations on a computer. I am very familiar with pen and paper and I've been wondering whether it would be worth a try to see if I can get familiar enough with symbolic software such as SageMath or Mathematica that I could use it for most of my work. Do you think this makes sense?

My current way of working is with pen and paper and occasionally Mathematica (when I need to e.g. simplify long expressions of if I know an integral has an answer I plug it in). I see obvious pros and cons to using software (pros being that it's programmable, it's very good at pattern matching and has a large database for doing stuff, cons being that it's not always very flexible, can't draw pictures and some say it makes the user dumber)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm especially curious if there are any people who actually start off with Sage/Mathematica, e.g. they want to solve a problem and they open up Mathematica and start working on it right off the bat without first formulating the problem on pen and paper.

I do formulate the problem with pen and paper, often times, the problems are quite trivial, I know exactly what to do when I want to solve it with Mathematica/Matlab or what have you.

ohannuks said:
[...]can't draw pictures[...]
Every symbolic mathematical computation program that I've heard of, including Mathematica, can plot graphs. They draw better pictures than any human.
ohannuks said:
[...]some say it makes the user dumber[...]
Using a computer won't make you better at solving problems by hand, but it will make you better at solving problems by computer, which is not dumber.
Tangent in the spoiler.
There's another recent discussion thread asking about the greatest mathematicians ever. My reply was basically that present day mathemagicians are capable of so much more than their predecessors that it is hard to even compare them. One of the reasons for this is the printing press. We have the collected knowledge of everyone who bothered to publish their work. The other reason is computers. They extend our abilities, particularly with math, to levels that... (I'm having trouble thinking of something appropriately hyperbolic and all that's coming back is "to infinity, and beyond!")

I don't think one should use mathematica as an alternative to pen/paper. It complements it. There are some stuff that you absolutely cannot do with pen/paper, for example, computational work. However, for managing some integrals and such, I'd say that pen/paper should be your 1st go-to.

Mathematica is not capable of doing most of the calculations I do. I work things out by hand, and use Mathematica for incidental things like doing integrals or making graphs.

What is Mathematica and how is it used in physics?

Mathematica is a computational software program that is widely used by scientists and researchers in various fields, including physics. It allows for complex mathematical and scientific calculations to be performed efficiently and accurately. In physics, Mathematica can be used to solve equations, perform numerical simulations, and visualize data.

What are the advantages of using Mathematica over pen and paper in physics?

There are several advantages to using Mathematica over traditional pen and paper methods in physics. Firstly, Mathematica allows for faster and more accurate calculations, as it can handle large and complex equations with ease. It also has built-in functions and libraries specifically designed for physics, making it easier to perform advanced calculations and analyses. Additionally, Mathematica allows for the visualization of complex data and equations, making it easier to interpret and understand results.

Are there any limitations to using Mathematica in physics?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for physics, it does have its limitations. One major limitation is that it is a closed system, meaning that users cannot see or modify the underlying code that runs the program. This can be a disadvantage for those who prefer to have more control over their calculations. Additionally, Mathematica can be expensive for individual users, making it less accessible for those on a tight budget.

Can Mathematica be used in conjunction with pen and paper in physics?

Absolutely! Mathematica can be used alongside traditional pen and paper methods in physics. In fact, many scientists and researchers use a combination of both to maximize efficiency and accuracy. While Mathematica can handle complex calculations and simulations, pen and paper can still be useful for conceptualizing and sketching out ideas and equations.

Is it necessary to have prior programming knowledge to use Mathematica in physics?

While having some programming knowledge can be helpful when using Mathematica, it is not necessary. Mathematica has a user-friendly interface and a built-in programming language that is easy to learn. It also has a vast library of resources and documentation to help users get started. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts can make it easier to utilize the full capabilities of Mathematica in physics.