Using perturbation to calculate first order correction

In summary, John has been given the homework statement and attempted to solve for the first-order correction. He is confident that the perturbation is correct and that he has to integrate from 0 to b.
Leechie

Homework Statement

I'm trying to evaluate the following integral to calculate a first-order correction:
$$\int_0^\infty R_{nl}(r)^* \delta \hat {\mathbf H} R_{nl}(r) r^2 dr$$
The problem states that ##b## is small compared to the Bohr radius ##a_o##

Homework Equations

I've been given:
$$R_{nl}(r)=\left( \frac {1} {a_0} \right)^{3/2} 2 e^{-r/a_0}$$ $$\int_0^x e^{-u} du = 1 - e^{-x} $$ $$\int_0^x u e^{-u} du = 1 - e^{-x} - xe^{-x} $$
And I've calculated ##\delta \hat {\mathbf H} ## to be
$$\delta \hat {\mathbf H} = -\frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've got:
$$E_1^{(1)} = - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \left( \int_0^b b e^{ - \frac {2r} {a_0} } dr - \int_0^b r e^{ - \frac {2r} {a_0} } dr \right) $$
And when I use the integrals given I get:
$$E_1^{(1)} = - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \left( \frac {a_0b} {2} \left(1-e^{-b} \right) - \frac {a_0^2} {4} \left(1-e^{-b}-be^{-b} \right) \right) $$
Could someone tell me if I've got this right so far?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your integral in section 1 missing a factor of 4π?

In the first equation in section 3 I think you've lost the factor of 2 from each Rnl(r). And when you put in the limits of integration, the exponents in your final equation should be -2b/a0.

It's not clear to me what the perturbation is supposed to be; so I don't know if your δH is correct or if you should be integrating over r from 0 to b; but if all that is okay, you're basically on the right track.

Last edited:
Likes Leechie
Thanks for your help John.

I don't think its missing the factor 4##\pi##. The original state is given as ##\psi_{1,0,0} = R_{nl} \left( r \right) Y_{lm}\left( \theta, \phi \right) ##, and I made it that the spherical harmonics are normalized in the state: ##Y_{0,0}\left( \theta, \phi \right) = \frac 1 {\sqrt {4 \pi}}##.

Ah, I can see it now, the missing factor 2 and I've forgotten to change the exponents back after substitution. Thanks for pointing those out.

I confident the perturbation is correct and the question I've been given involves calculating the first-order correction for a modified Coulomb model of a hydrogen atom where ##V\left(r\right)=- \frac {e^2b^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^2} ## where ## 0 \lt r \leq b ## and ##V\left(r\right)=- \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r} ## where ## r \gt b##. So I think I have to integral from ##0## to ##b##.

I'm quite new to this forum and I'm really amazed at how helpful and friendly everyone is here. I don't know where I'd be without PF!

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to problems that are difficult or impossible to solve exactly. It involves making small changes to a known solution in order to find an improved solution to a more complex problem.

2. How is perturbation used to calculate first order correction?

In perturbation theory, the first order correction is calculated by adding a term to the known solution. This term takes into account the effects of the small changes made to the original solution. The result is a more accurate approximation to the actual solution of the problem.

3. What is the purpose of using perturbation to calculate first order correction?

The purpose of using perturbation to calculate first order correction is to improve the accuracy of an existing solution to a problem. By making small changes to the known solution, we can account for additional factors and improve the overall accuracy of the solution.

4. What types of problems can perturbation theory be applied to?

Perturbation theory can be applied to a wide range of problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics, among others.

5. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is only effective in approximating solutions to problems where the changes made to the known solution are small. If the changes are too large, then the resulting approximation may not be accurate. Additionally, perturbation theory may not be applicable to all types of problems and may not always provide the most accurate solution.