1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Red Light to Reduce Effect of Ambient Light

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I have heard many times that red lighting is good for imaging applications where the effect of ambient light needs to be reduced to a minimum. What is the theory behind this? Why does red light (vs. other colors) reduce the effect of ambient light?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a reference to more information about this? Do you mean using red light to preserve night vision?

http://www.kriana.com/retaining-night-vision

Or is your question about something different?

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3
    I don't have a reference, I guess it is just something I have heard from peers.

After having done a little more research, it seems like the color of the lighting should be the opposite of the color of the object you are trying to image in order to make the object stand out more. That being said, what color lighting would I use if I wanted to take a picture of water droplets?

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook