Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using RF Transmitter/Receiver to power LEDs from a Sensor?

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    I have a pressure sensor that gives off 4 volts when actuated and I would like to transmit it a distance to an LED light. So I found these RF Link Transmitter/Receiver at 434MHz:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10532

The data sheets and instructions I’ve read all suggest a microcontroller. What I’m asking is this:
    For the transmitter side of my project (sensor that gives off 4V), could I use something other than a microcontroller to convert the 4V to send through the transmitter?

I do have an Arduino Yun that I could use for the receiver side, but lets say I didn’t have an Arduino, what would I be able to use to convert the data from the receiver?

I don’t have much experience with wireless transmission and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2014 #2
  4. Feb 4, 2014 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Can we get this straight? Are you wanting to send a signal to a receiver that will turn on the LEDs or are you wanting to transmit the Power across a gap to provide the power to light them? It makes a vast difference and you use the word 'Power' in the title so we need to be sure what you want to do.

5. Feb 4, 2014 #4
    Sorry about the confusion. Here's the plan: I want to be able to light an LED when an object is on the sensor. The sensor gives off 4 volts when it is triggered then I would feed that into the transmitter, transmit that signal to the receiver so whenever that sensor is actuated an LED will light up. So I'm trying to send a signal to the receiver that will turn on an LED.

6. Feb 4, 2014 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

For simple signalling, those devices should work, at a basic level. I managed to look at the transmitter data sheet but the site was busy or down and I couldn't see the receiver spec.
    As far as I can see, the transmitter is Amplitude Shift Keyed (i.e. On/Off signalling) which you can do with 0 or 5V from your sensor. Likewise for the receiver should give 0 or 5V, depending on the received signal level. At the price, they would be worth just buying and trying. I don't think the processor is a necessary for just a simple one channel on/off control. (Using the 'digital' output).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted