1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using SVD to solve a set of equations.

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is not a homework problem. I encountered this while working with total least squares for the first time. Ultimately a point is reached where Az=0 must be solved. z is of the form [x,1]^{T}. Let A be nxm, z be mx1.

Suppose A is rank deficient by one. So the SVD of A has one non zero singular value. Then to find z, what i need to do is simply find the SVD of A,

[U,S,V] = svd(A).

and the solution to Az=0 is the right eigenvector corresponding to the 0 eigenvalue, normalized so that the last element equals -1.

Now i have tested it and this works. (Did examples in Matlab). However, i don't know why this is true. Why does the eigenvector corresponding to the smallest eigenvector give you a solution (i'm assuming it gives you a solution to within a scalar multiple).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #2

The Electrician

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook