Using tensions to find maximum velocity

In summary, an object constrained by a cord on a frictionless surface with a radius of 0.5m will break if its tension exceeds 16N. The maximum kinetic energy the object can have is equal to .5mv2, with tension being equal to mv2/r and gravity acting perpendicular to the tension force. Isolating m or v separately will not yield a different result.
MathewsMD
An object is constrained by a cord to move in a circular path of radius 0.5m on a horizontal frictionless surface. The cord will break if its tension exceeds 16N. The maximum kinetic energy the object can have is:

Attempt at solution:

Well if tension can only be constant, then velocity is maximum when:

T = mv2/r - mg, right?

since v must be subtracted from to equal T, and this is the case at the bottom of the circle when it is motion.

So then I isolate m,

m = 16 / (2v2 - 9.8)

Then I use K = [8/(2v2 - 9.8)]v2

Now when I get here, I run out of equations to use. I am thinking I have forgotten something, but when I keep trying to isolate for v in other equations, I just keep getting the same answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tension is just mv2/r. Gravity is acting perpendicular to the tension force.

Don't try isolate m or v separately. Remember, kinetic energy is .5 mv2.

1. What is tension and how does it help find maximum velocity?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. In the context of finding maximum velocity, tension can be used as a tool to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine its maximum velocity. This is because tension is directly related to the acceleration of an object and can be used in equations to calculate the maximum velocity.

2. How do you use tensions to determine maximum velocity in a physical experiment?

In a physical experiment, you can use a tension meter or a spring scale to measure the tension on an object. By measuring the tension at different points in time, you can plot a graph of tension vs. time and analyze the changes in velocity. This can help you determine the maximum velocity of the object.

3. Can tensions be used to find maximum velocity in all types of motion?

Yes, tensions can be used to find maximum velocity in all types of motion, as long as the object is experiencing a tension force. This can include linear motion, circular motion, and rotational motion.

4. What are some common sources of error when using tensions to find maximum velocity?

Some common sources of error when using tensions to find maximum velocity include human error in measuring the tension, variations in the tension force due to friction or air resistance, and limitations of the equipment used to measure tension.

5. Can tensions be used to find maximum velocity in both stationary and moving objects?

Yes, tensions can be used to find maximum velocity in both stationary and moving objects. In stationary objects, tension can be used to determine the maximum velocity the object can reach when released. In moving objects, tension can be used to analyze the forces acting on the object and determine its maximum velocity at a given moment.