Using the Elastic equation to find the final velocity

In summary, the problem involves a head-on collision between two balls, one moving at 3.30 m/s and the other at rest. The collision is perfectly elastic, meaning the balls will bounce off each other with their relative speed after the collision being equal to their relative speed before. To find the velocity of each ball after the collision, the momentum conservation equation is used, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after. This formula mixes object properties and may not apply to your specific case, so it is important to understand the concept rather than relying on specific equations.
MyMotto

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 0.440 kg moving east (+x direction) with a speed of 3.30 m/s collides head on with a .220 kg ball at rest. If the collision is perfectly elastic what will be the speed and direction of each ball after the collision?

Homework Equations

(.5)m1v1+(.5)m2v2=(.5)m1v1'+(.5)m2v2'

v1= m1-m2/m1+m2(v1) <---I want to how they got from the elastic equation to this

The Attempt at a Solution

Really more than anything I want to figure out how to derive the equation to find velocity. I've looked it up and I don't understand all the steps it took. So far I've figured out that
(.5)m2v2 is equal to zero. So the equation is (.5)m1v1= (.5)m1v1'+(.5)m2v2'. I want to understand every part before I start trying to find the solution.

I don't really understand physics so please be very specific. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
v2 = 0 only if the balls have the same mass.
"elastic" means that their relative speed (outward) after the collision
is 1x their relative speed (inward) before the collision ... they bounce.

so elastic means that v1 - v2 = v2' - v1'

The formula you showed mixes object properties ... notice m2/m1, and m2(v1)
so was derived for some special case (perhaps not _your_ special case)
... avoid these special-case formulas if you want to understand.

("totally inelastic" means that their relative speed (outward) after the collision
is 0x their relative speed (inward) before the collision ... they stick.)

your first equation would be "momentum conservation", very important
... if you drop all the ½ factors.

1. How is the final velocity calculated using the Elastic equation?

The final velocity is calculated using the Elastic equation by using the formula v = √(u^2 + 2as), where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the displacement.

2. Can the Elastic equation be used for all types of motion?

No, the Elastic equation is specifically used for motion that is affected by elastic forces, such as springs or rubber bands. It cannot be used for other types of motion, such as free fall.

3. Is the Elastic equation only applicable to objects moving in a straight line?

Yes, the Elastic equation is only applicable to objects moving in a straight line. It does not take into account any changes in direction or rotational motion.

4. Do all objects have the same final velocity when using the Elastic equation?

No, the final velocity will vary depending on the initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement of the object. Each object will have its own unique final velocity calculated using the Elastic equation.

5. Can the Elastic equation be used for objects in a vacuum?

Yes, the Elastic equation can be used for objects in a vacuum as it is not affected by external factors such as air resistance. However, it is important to note that the acceleration due to gravity (g) must still be taken into account in the calculation.