1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the Intermediate Value Theorem

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    Show that there is a square with a diagonal that is between r and 2r and an area that is half the area of a circle of radius r.
    The Theorem: If f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and k is any number between f(a) and f(b), inclusive, then there is at least one number x in the interval [a,b] such that f(x)=k.
    Let l be a length of a side of the square, then the diagonal's length is [tex] \sqrt{2}l \mbox{ and } r < \sqrt{2}l < 2r \mbox{ that implies } f(a)=f(r) = r^2 \mbox{ and } f(b)=f(2r)= 4r^2 [/tex]. Can I find [tex] k = \frac{\pi}{2}r^2 [/tex]? I just cannot visualize k on the graph of [tex] l^2[/tex] and in between f(a) and f(b), because it is impossible. So where am I going wrong? I'm doing this for my own interest. Please help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The area of the square with diagonal r is r2/2, and the area of the square with diagonal 2r is 2r2. The area of the half circle is πr2/2, which is between the areas of the squares.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook