I have a two questions concering the vacuum state of the Klein-Gordon field. But let me first briefly introduce the topic.
Suppose we are in special relativity, adopt the signature for the metric [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu} = (+,-,-,-)[/itex], and work in natural units, i.e. [itex]c=1[/itex] and [itex]\hbar=1[/itex]. Then the Lagrangian for the Klein-Gordon field is given by
[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \dot{\Phi}^2- (\nabla \Phi)^2 - m^2 \Phi^2 = \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu\Phi \;\partial_\nu\Phi- m^2 \Phi^2[/tex]
and the equation of motion is the Klein-Gordon equation
[tex]\left( \square \Phi + m^2 \right)\Phi = 0.[/tex]
The canonical momentum [itex]\pi(x)[/itex] to [itex]\Phi(x)[/itex] is given by
[tex]\pi(x) = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\Phi}} = \dot{\Phi}.[/tex]
Now we apply the canonical quantization to [itex]\Phi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\pi(x)[/itex]. This means [itex]\Phi \rightarrow \hat{\Phi}[/itex] and [itex]\pi \rightarrow \hat{\pi}[/itex] become operators and are subject to the following commutation rules:
[tex]\left[ \hat{\Phi}(\vec{x},t),\hat{\pi}(\vec{x}',t) \right] = i \delta(\vec{x}-\vec{x}'),[/tex]
[tex]\left[ \hat{\Phi}(\vec{x},t),\hat{\Phi}(\vec{x}',t) \right] = \left[ \hat{\pi}(\vec{x},t),\hat{\pi}(\vec{x}',t) \right] = 0.[/tex]
This equivalent to
[tex]\left[ \hat{a}(\vec{k}),\hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k}') \right] = (2 \pi)^3 \delta(\vec{k}-\vec{k}'),[/tex]
[tex]\left[ \hat{a}(\vec{x}),\hat{a}(\vec{k}') \right] = \left[ \hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k}),\hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k}') \right] = 0,[/tex]
whereas [itex]\hat{a}(\vec{k})[/itex] and [itex]\hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k})[/itex] are related to [itex]\hat{\Phi}(\vec{x},t)[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\pi}(\vec{x},t)[/itex] by
[tex]\hat{\Phi}(\vec{x},t) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \omega_k}} \left( \hat{a}(\vec{k}) e^{i(\vec{k}\vec{x}-\omega_k t)} + \hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k}) e^{-i(\vec{k}\vec{x}-\omega_k t)} \right) dk^3[/tex]
[tex]\hat{\pi}(\vec{x},t) = -\frac{i}{(2 \pi)^3} \int \sqrt{\frac{\omega_k}{2}} \left( \hat{a}(\vec{k}) e^{i(\vec{k}\vec{x}-\omega_k t)} - \hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k}) e^{-i(\vec{k}\vec{x}-\omega_k t)} \right) dk^3[/tex]
and
[tex]\hat{a}(\vec{k}) = \sqrt{\frac{\omega_k}{2}} \int \left( \hat{\Phi}(\vec{x},t) + \frac{i}{\omega_k} \hat{\pi}(\vec{x},t) \right) e^{-i(\vec{k}\vec{x}-\omega_k t)} dx^3[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k}) = \sqrt{\frac{\omega_k}{2}} \int \left( \hat{\Phi}(\vec{x},t) - \frac{i}{\omega_k} \hat{\pi}(\vec{x},t) \right) e^{+i(\vec{k}\vec{x}-\omega_k t)} dx^3.[/tex]
(For a derivation look for instance at http://web.mit.edu/8.323/spring06/notes/ft1qsf-06.pdf.)
According to the commutation rules, [itex]\hat{a}(\vec{k})[/itex] and [itex]\hat{a}^\dag(\vec{k})[/itex] can be interpreted as annihilation and creation operators respectively for particles with momentum [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]. We can now define the vacuum state [itex]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex] by
[tex]\hat{a}\left|0\right\rangle = 0[/tex].
Now, I can ask my questions. From what I have written here, how can I prove that for a given [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] in the ground state [itex]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex] both the real and imaginary part of [itex]\Phi(\vec{k},t) = \int \Phi(\vec{x},t) e^{-i\vec{k}\vec{x}} dx^3[/itex] are independent Gaussian distributed with zero mean, i.e. by means of repeted measurements I would find the values of the real and imaginary part to be independent Gaussian random variables?
And a second question: How can I prove formally that [itex]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex] is translational and rotational invariant?
Thanks a lot for any suggestion!