Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Validation of Ansys FEA solution

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    For the tension test specimen (shown below in the link) I am using Ansys Workbench to calculate the stress in the parallel portion. How could I go about checking this through manual calculations? I have been told to use beam theories for this, however I can't see how this applies as the force is being apllied axially therefore a simple axial stress = force/area would be most appropriate? Or is this incorrect. Some advice would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi cabellos2,

yeah, don't see much relation to bending of beams here. Well, other than tension of beams/rods as you thought yourself. Comparing the axial stress sounds appropriate for comparing the 2 (I'm thinking this is a linear analysis, i.e. an analysis where you focus on what is going on before yield stress and you don't have to think about the "other parts" of a tensile test, like true stress-strain curves and such).
  4. Nov 1, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

I thought one of the reasons for having tensile stress specimens shaped the way they are is an attempt to get as close to P/A as possible, i.e. a 1D stress. I can't think of any beam theory that deals with this. It's easy enough to check your results. How did they compare?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?