Load analysis on a motorcross bike - need some advice

In summary, the conversation discusses analyzing the strength of a specific motorcross frame using different loads, particularly focusing on vertical falls from various heights. The speaker reduced the problem by replacing the motorcross with a weight supported by two springs, parallel to each other. They also mention the use of different types of landings and how the stiffness of the springs affects the impact force. The conversation then shifts to including the damping of the shock absorbers in the calculations and the speaker provides links to datasheets for typical MX shocks.
DanielSu
My task is to analyze a frame's strength of a specific motorcross using different loads, and to do this i decided to focus on vertical fall from various heights, since this will probably give the largest forces on the bike. The one can also experiment with different types of landings, i.e. landing on both wheels, backwheel etc.

So i reduced the problem and replaced the motorcross with a weight [itex]mg[/itex] which is being supported by two springs which are parallel, so i can replace them with one spring constant k = k_rear + k_front.

Now let's go into the mechanics of the problem.
Lets say i have an unloaded spring with stiffness [itex]k[/itex] and a weight [itex]mg[/itex] over it. The weight is barely touching the top of the spring, such that the spring doesn't support it. I then release the weight and i want to find out what the impact load will be. So i reasoned that the potential energy must equal the energy of the spring according to
[tex]\frac{1}{2}kh_0^2 = mgh_0[/tex]
or:
[tex]h_0 = 2\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

If i instead drop the weight from an additional height [itex]h[/itex] above the unloaded spring, i get:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2 = mg\left(h+h_0\right)[/tex]
or:
[tex]x = \sqrt{2\frac{mg}{k}\left(h+h_0\right)} = \sqrt{2\frac{mg}{k}\left(h+2\frac{mg}{k}\right)}[/tex]
And the impact force would be:
[tex]F_i = kx = \sqrt{2kmg\left(h+2\frac{mg}{k}\right)} = \sqrt{2kmgh+4(mg)^2}[/tex]
From here one can see that the stiffer the spring is, the stronger impact force one will get which seems logical.
Example:
k = 226 kN/m
m = 140 kg (50kg motorcross and 90 kg person)
g = 9.81 m/s^2
h = 1m - this is the height of the fall
Then we get an impact force of F_i = 25066 N
if i use h = 2m, F_i = 35343N

I find that at approximately 2,95m vertical fall the front spring bottoms (it has the shortest length) with a force of F_i = 43242 N. Are my calculations soundproof? Or at least reasonable?
One issue is that the springs have different spring constants, the front has 18 kN/m and the rear 208 kN/m, but used the fact that they were parallel to simplify my calculations but one could make the argument that the front will hit the bottom much earlier.

When i want to use these values in Ansys (Finite element analysis program) i of course can't put the entire load at one place but a big chunk of it is the driver putting at least 75% of his weight at the footpegs which will produce high stresses at some areas I am sure (i can't validate right now).

Im grateful for any advice in this matter :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fun project! :smile:
DanielSu said:
the front has 18 kN/m and the rear 208 kN/m
Where did you get these numbers? The front and back spring rates are much closer than that, in my experience.

And you should start including the damping of the shock absorbers in your calculations from the beginning, IMO. The damping is a big part of how the suspension works, especially in landings...
DanielSu said:
the driver rider putting at least 75% of his weight at the footpegs
Much closer to 100% :biggrin:

MBwheelie_Reversed.jpg

Attachments

• MBwheelie_Reversed.jpg
    MBwheelie_Reversed.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 706
berkeman said:
Fun project! :smile:

Where did you get these numbers? The front and back spring rates are much closer than that, in my experience.

And you should start including the damping of the shock absorbers in your calculations from the beginning, IMO. The damping is a big part of how the suspension works, especially in landings...

Much closer to 100% :biggrin:

View attachment 224979
The front is from a downhill fork (from a bicycle) that's why it so small :) And yes usually they are probably much closer than that.
I thought the damping only was used to dampen the return movement once the spring was first compressed, anyway i got no data of the damping constant and i found by earlier calculations (they might've wrong of course) that it played little or no part in the beginning.

DanielSu said:
I thought the damping only was used to dampen the return movement once the spring was first compressed
No, there are damping rates for both compression and "rebound" (usually different). I'll try to find a datasheet for a typical MX shock for you...
DanielSu said:
i found by earlier calculations (they might've wrong of course) that it played little or no part in the beginning.
No, they play a huge part (see the picture of my CRF450R above).

1. What is load analysis on a motocross bike?

Load analysis on a motocross bike is the process of determining the amount of strain and stress that the bike's components experience during operation. This includes analyzing forces such as weight, acceleration, and impact on different parts of the bike.

2. Why is load analysis important for a motocross bike?

Load analysis is important for a motocross bike because it helps to identify potential weaknesses or areas of improvement in the bike's design. It also provides valuable information for engineers to make informed decisions on materials and design changes to improve the bike's performance and durability.

3. What are some common methods used for load analysis on a motocross bike?

There are several methods used for load analysis on a motocross bike, including finite element analysis, strain gauges, and load cells. Finite element analysis involves creating a computer model of the bike and simulating the forces acting on it. Strain gauges and load cells are physical instruments that measure the strain and load on specific parts of the bike.

4. How does load analysis affect the performance of a motocross bike?

Load analysis can greatly impact the performance of a motocross bike. By identifying areas of high stress and strain, engineers can make design changes to improve the bike's durability and handling. This can result in a more reliable and high-performing bike on the track.

5. Can load analysis help with maintenance and repair of a motocross bike?

Yes, load analysis can be used to identify areas of the bike that may be prone to failure or wear. By understanding the load on different components, maintenance and repair can be focused on these areas to ensure the bike remains in top condition. This can also help to prevent unexpected breakdowns and costly repairs.