Value of Sigma such that the integral converges

In summary: This is not true.The square root cancels the square. The power $-5t$ remains intact.In summary, the power of a negative exponential does not cancel out the original negative sign.
Dustinsfl
What value of sigma guarantees the integral converges?
\[
\int_0^{\infty}e^{-5t}e^{-(\sigma + i\omega)t}dt = \frac{1}{5 + \sigma + i\omega}
\]
I don't see a problem as long as \(\omega\neq 0\) and \(\sigma\neq -5\), but by the way the question is worded, it sounds like it is after something else since it doesn't mention the value of \(\omega\).

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
What value of sigma guarantees the integral converges?
\[
\int_0^{\infty}e^{-5t}e^{-(\sigma + i\omega)t}dt = \frac{1}{5 + \sigma + i\omega}
\]
I don't see a problem as long as \(\omega\neq 0\) and \(\sigma\neq -5\), but by the way the question is worded, it sounds like it is after something else since it doesn't mention the value of \(\omega\).

Setting $s = \sigma + i\ \omega$ the integral becomes...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{- 5\ t}\ e^{- s\ t}\ d t = \mathcal{L} \{e^{- 5\ t}\} = \frac{1}{s + 5}\ (1)$

... and the (1) converges for $\displaystyle \text{Re}\ s > - 5$...

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Setting $s = \sigma + i\ \omega$ the integral becomes...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{- 5\ t}\ e^{- s\ t}\ d t = \mathcal{L} \{e^{- 5\ t}\} = \frac{1}{s + 5}\ (1)$

... and the (1) converges for $\displaystyle \text{Re}\ s > - 5$...

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

What is wrong with \(\text{Re} \ s <-5\)?

dwsmith said:
What is wrong with \(\text{Re} \ s <-5\)?

An integral up to infinity of the form $\int_0^\infty e^{(x+iy)t} dt$ can only converge if $x<0$.
That is because the magnitude:
$$|e^{(x+iy)t}|=|e^{xt} e^{iyt}| = e^{xt}$$
will be of the form $e^{-t}$ if x is negative and $e^t$ if x is positive.
Only the first form will converge when integrated to infinity.

I like Serena said:
An integral up to infinity of the form $\int_0^\infty e^{(x+iy)t} dt$ can only converge if $x<0$.
That is because the magnitude:
$$|e^{(x+iy)t}|=|e^{xt} e^{iyt}| = e^{xt}$$
will be of the form $e^{-t}$ if x is negative and $e^t$ if x is positive.
Only the first form will converge when integrated to infinity.

The modulus of my problem is then
\[
\lvert e^{-(5+\sigma + i\omega)t}\rvert = e^{(5 + \sigma)t}
\]
since we lose the negative sign. Therefore, to have a negative exponential, wouldn't we need \(\sigma < - 5\)?

dwsmith said:
The modulus of my problem is then
\[
\lvert e^{-(5+\sigma + i\omega)t}\rvert = e^{(5 + \sigma)t}
\]
since we lose the negative sign. Therefore, to have a negative exponential, wouldn't we need \(\sigma < - 5\)?

We would not lose the negative sign.
$$|e^{-(5+\sigma + i\omega)t}| = |e^{-(5+\sigma)t} e^{i\omega t}| = |e^{-(5+\sigma)t} | \cdot |e^{i\omega t}| = |e^{-(5+\sigma)t}|$$
Since $e^{-(5+\sigma)t}$ is always a positive number, this is equal to:
$$e^{-(5+\sigma)t}$$

I like Serena said:
We would not lose the negative sign.
$$|e^{-(5+\sigma + i\omega)t}| = |e^{-(5+\sigma)t} e^{i\omega t}| = |e^{-(5+\sigma)t} | \cdot |e^{i\omega t}| = |e^{-(5+\sigma)}|$$
Since $e^{-(5+\sigma)t}$ is always a positive number, this is equal to:
$$e^{-(5+\sigma)t}$$

To take the modulus, we have \(\sqrt{(e^{-5t})^2} = e^{5t}\). We always lose the negative when doing this. Granted exponential is always greater than 0 but how does that preserve a negative which squared?

dwsmith said:
To take the modulus, we have \(\sqrt{(e^{-5t})^2} = e^{5t}\). We always lose the negative when doing this. Granted exponential is always greater than 0 but how does that preserve a negative which squared?

This is not true.
The square root cancels the square. The power $-5t$ remains intact.

Let's try it with t=1/5.
Then the argument is $e^{-1} \approx 0.368$.
If we square this number and then take the square root of the result, we will get the same number.
In particular we will not get the number $e^{1} \approx 2.71$

1. What is the value of sigma for an integral to converge?

The value of sigma for an integral to converge depends on the specific integral in question. The value of sigma, also known as the standard deviation, is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean. It is not a fixed value and can vary depending on the distribution of the data.

2. How does the value of sigma affect the convergence of an integral?

The value of sigma directly affects the convergence of an integral. If the value of sigma is large, it means there is a significant amount of variability in the data, making it difficult for the integral to converge. On the other hand, if the value of sigma is small, the data is more tightly clustered around the mean, making it easier for the integral to converge.

3. Is there a specific range of values for sigma that ensures convergence of an integral?

There is no specific range of values for sigma that guarantees convergence of an integral. It ultimately depends on the specific integral and the distribution of the data. However, in general, a smaller value of sigma is more likely to result in convergence.

4. Can an integral still converge if the value of sigma is large?

Yes, it is possible for an integral to converge even if the value of sigma is large. However, this is less likely to occur as a larger value of sigma indicates a larger amount of variability in the data, making it more difficult for the integral to converge.

5. How can the value of sigma be manipulated to ensure convergence of an integral?

The value of sigma cannot be manipulated to guarantee convergence of an integral. However, it is possible to adjust the integral itself, such as by changing the limits of integration or using different integration techniques, to improve the chances of convergence. Additionally, reducing the variability in the data by increasing the sample size or using data transformation techniques can also help improve the convergence of an integral.