Values of Right Ascension which are best for an observer

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
ecastro
Messages
249
Reaction score
8
What values of right ascension are best for viewing by an observer at 40 degrees north latitude in January?

I found this problem in the "Introduction for the Modern Astrophysics". I'm stuck with this problem because I don't know how to relate the right ascension and latitude.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
ecastro said:
What values of right ascension are best for viewing by an observer at 40 degrees north latitude in January?

I found this problem in the "Introduction for the Modern Astrophysics". I'm stuck with this problem because I don't know how to relate the right ascension and latitude.

Try to think about what part of the sky is above the horizon at night for an observer at 40 degrees north latitude in January. You need to use not just the latitude, but the time of year and the time of day. Remember that you can't see the stars during the daytime.