Help is needed in understanding my telescope

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter grobertsx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, you are looking to learn about astronomy with a StarLight 80 refractor telescope on an equatorial mount. You have questions about the declination and right ascension scales, as well as the horizontal axis of the mount and the placement of the counter-weight. It is recommended to seek hands-on help from a local amateur astronomer club, as it is difficult to provide accurate answers without more information. The declination scale is likely used for polar alignment, while RA is an East-West coordinate system for the sky and does not require a scale on most scopes. The horizontal axis likely refers to the part of the mount that rotates to face north, and the polar axis should be adjusted to match your latitude. The declination of objects
grobertsx
Hey, I'm trying to start learning about astronomy with my brother's old telescope and I need a little help in getting started :).
Firstly, what my textbook tells me is that the declination scale shows a scale of numbers which go from zero to nine and then back down to zero again, however I thought that declination was measured in degrees or arc-seconds? What do these numbers mean?
How do I know what right ascension I am looking at in the sky? So, I've just set the declination to 90 degrees. I'm lining the polar axis of my telescope to be parallel with the Earth's axis by pointing it towards North, after adjusting for my specific latitude, how do I know my right ascension? Can I find the right ascension by pointing at an object with a know right ascension? Really, I don't think I understand right ascension...
My guide talks about a 'horizontal axis', for example; 'loosen the horizontal axis lock and turn the telescope so it is directly aimed at Polaris'. What does this term mean?
Where should my counter-weight be pointing when I am looking at the sky?
Thanks for any help you can give!

Astronomy news on Phys.org

For useful help contact you local amateur astronomer club. They can help you so much better hands on than anyone can do over the internet.

Also your questions are basically impossible to answer without more information (maker and model and preferable illustrative pictures) but I'll try my best guesses though. First it looks like you got a equatorial mount of some kind.

grobertsx said:
Hey, I'm trying to start learning about astronomy with my brother's old telescope and I need a little help in getting started :).
Firstly, what my textbook tells me is that the declination scale shows a scale of numbers which go from zero to nine and then back down to zero again, however I thought that declination was measured in degrees or arc-seconds? What do these numbers mean?

Hard to tell without more information. My best guess is that scale is probably the latitude scale used in the first step of polar aligment. It's probably measured in tens of degrees with one degree increments. This has nothing to do with declination though and most scopes lack a useful declination scale.

How do I know what right ascension I am looking at in the sky? So, I've just set the declination to 90 degrees. I'm lining the polar axis of my telescope to be parallel with the Earth's axis by pointing it towards North, after adjusting for my specific latitude, how do I know my right ascension? Can I find the right ascension by pointing at an object with a know right ascension? Really, I don't think I understand right ascension...
RA is just you basic East-West coordinate system but for the sky instead. As with declination most scopes lack a useful RA scale. The good thing is that you don't need one and you usually don't really need to understand it either.

My guide talks about a 'horizontal axis', for example; 'loosen the horizontal axis lock and turn the telescope so it is directly aimed at Polaris'. What does this term mean?

Definitaly a term I've never run across. Sound like it could be either the polar axis, declination axis or right ascention axis. Needs more information.

Where should my counter-weight be pointing when I am looking at the sky?

Depends entirely on where the telescope is pointing.

/Patrik

Thanks for your help :) x
If it sheds more light on things: it is placed on an equatorial mount, it is called the StarLight 80 refractor telescope and it's a Meade.

Best x

The horizontal axis of the mount is the part you rotate so the polar axis faces north [toward polaris]. Then you adjust the polar axis so it points upward at the same angle as your geological latitude. The declination of objects in the sky does not change, the right ascension changes by the hour. Every 24 hours the Earth completes one revolution, causing the right ascension of all objects in the sky to also complete one revolution.

grobertsx said:
Thanks for your help :) x
If it sheds more light on things: it is placed on an equatorial mount, it is called the StarLight 80 refractor telescope and it's a Meade.

Seems like the scope has disappeared from the Meade homepage without a trace, not even a manual.

However from pictures it looks like the mount is a EQ-1 clone so any tutorial for a beginners german equatorial mount should help.

Some examples:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much :), all questions are now nicely answered xxx

1. How do I set up my telescope?

To set up your telescope, first find a flat and stable surface. Then, assemble the tripod and attach the telescope mount. Next, attach the telescope tube to the mount and make sure it is securely attached. Finally, balance the telescope and make any necessary adjustments to align it with the celestial north.

2. What are the different parts of a telescope?

A telescope typically consists of a tripod, mount, telescope tube, eyepiece, and finder scope. The tripod provides a stable base for the telescope, while the mount allows for movement and tracking. The telescope tube holds the primary lens or mirror, and the eyepiece is used to magnify the image. The finder scope helps locate objects in the sky.

3. How do I focus my telescope?

To focus your telescope, start by using the lowest magnification eyepiece. Then, point your telescope at a bright object in the sky and adjust the focus knob until the image appears clear and sharp. If needed, you can also adjust the focus by moving the eyepiece in or out.

4. How do I find objects in the night sky with my telescope?

To find objects in the night sky, you can use a star chart or a mobile app to locate the coordinates of the object. Then, use the mount controls on your telescope to move the telescope until the object is in view. You can also use the finder scope to help locate the object.

5. What are some common issues with telescopes and how can I troubleshoot them?

Some common issues with telescopes include blurry images, difficulty focusing, and trouble finding objects. To troubleshoot these issues, make sure your telescope is properly assembled and balanced. Also, check the focus and make any necessary adjustments. If you are having trouble finding objects, make sure you are using the correct coordinates and try adjusting the mount controls more slowly and carefully.