Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vandermonde Determinant, what am i doing wrong?

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1
    EDIT: I figured out what I was doing wrong, trivial mistake. If this could get deleted that would be good.

so using {x,y,z} i'm making a vandermonde matrix; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandermonde_matrix. When calculating the determinant by cofactor expansion I calculate the determinant to be the polynomial yz^2 - zy^2 - xz^2 + zx^2 + xy^2 - yx^2.

However, when I use the formula for calculating the determinant on the wikipedia page i get a different polynomial, one that includes a term of degree 3.

How is this possible? What am I doing wrong? How could the determinant of a 3x3 vandermonde matrix possibly be a polynomial with maximum degree three? Help :-(.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think there is anyone here called Vandermond Determinant (Dutch?), sorry, so I don't think you will get a reply.
  4. Jul 10, 2015 #3
    Yes, Vandermonde is dutch:
    Van = From
    Der = The
    Mond = Mouth (usually mouth of the human body, but it is likely to mean a place near the end of a river here).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook