Looking for insight into what the Determinant means....

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the cofactor method and other concepts taught in high school to understand determinants. The speaker then shares their understanding of determinants through elimination and the relationship between the determinant and matrix inversion. They also mention the geometric interpretation of determinants as the volume of a parallelotope and its significance in determining matrix invertibility.
kostoglotov
In HS they just taught you the formula for it (the cofactor method) and a few other things, such as det(A) = 0 means A is singular.

I finally reached Ch 5 of MIT OCW Intro to Linear Algebra, and I was really hoping that seeing how determinants are derived from first principles would give me some insight into what the determinant means...aside from whether or not the matrix is singular. I can follow the derivation, through the Big Formula, using the first three properties (det(I) = 1, row swap multiplies by -1, and linearity of determinants).

I have seen how the [itex]A \times adj(A) = det(A)\times I[/itex]

I have shown myself how the determinant for a 2x2 and 3x3 matrix arises purely from elimination, and considering the case if the last pivot is zero.

Ie:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ 0 & d-\frac{bc}{a}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and

BDjXWcn.gif

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/BDjXWcn.gif

What I've learned now just begs a further question, rather than, "why is the determinant important/ what does the determinant means?", I am now wondering, "what do the pivots, and the product of the pivots mean?" Aside of course from indicating whether or not the matrix is singular.

Physics news on Phys.org
The determinant can be interpreted geometrically. If A is an [itex]n\times n [/itex] matrix, then let [itex]r_1, r_2, \dotsm, r_n[/itex] be the n rows of A. The absolute value of the determinant of A would be the n-dimensional voume of the parallelotope corresponding to these n vectors. (Imagine one corner of the polytope at the origin, and n more corners located at [itex]r_i[/itex].) If the determinant is non-zero, then A has an inverse. Geometrically, this means there is a bijective map [itex]f:\mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] such that f(A) = I. That is, there is a linear transformation (namely [itex]f(x)=A^{-1}x[/itex]) that maps the parallelotope associated with A to the unit parallelotope associated with the identity matrix I. In the case where the determinant (and hence volume) is 0, the parallelotope is degenerate. (In [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], one such case would be a box with height 0, so that it is really a flat square inside 3-dimensional space). As your intuition might suggest, any mapping that takes such a degenerate polytope to the unit parallelotope could not possibly be bijective.

Likes kostoglotov

What is the determinant and why is it important in mathematics?

The determinant is a mathematical concept that is used to determine whether a matrix is invertible. It is important in mathematics because it has many applications in fields such as linear algebra, differential equations, and geometry.

How is the determinant calculated?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated by following a specific formula, depending on the size and structure of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant is calculated by multiplying the top-left and bottom-right elements and subtracting the product of the top-right and bottom-left elements. For larger matrices, the calculation involves finding the sum or difference of products of elements in a specific pattern.

What does the determinant represent in terms of a matrix?

The determinant represents the scaling factor of the matrix, which is essentially how much the area or volume of a shape changes when the matrix is applied to it. It can also represent the signed volume or orientation of a shape in higher dimensions.

Why is it important to understand the determinant in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the determinant is used to determine whether a system of linear equations has a unique solution or not. It is also used to find the inverse of a matrix, which is an important concept in solving many problems in mathematics and other fields such as physics and engineering.

Are there any real-world applications of the determinant?

Yes, the determinant has many real-world applications, particularly in areas such as computer graphics, circuit analysis, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving systems of equations, calculate areas and volumes, and determine the stability of systems, among others.