Variable acceleration with one premise

In summary, the problem discusses a particle's acceleration equation and its relationship to velocity and displacement. The question asks for the change in displacement from t = 2 to t = 4, but the solution given by integrating the acceleration equation does not match the given information. The issue is clarified to be a misunderstanding of the abbreviation "seg" for "second."
pf_001

Homework Statement

A particle's acceleration is given by the equation a(t) = 2t + 1 m/seg^2. If its velocity at t = 2 equals 5 m/seg, how much does its displacement change from t = 2 to t = 4?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could integrate the acceleration equation to get the velocity equation, but when I solve this equation for t = 2, I don't get 5 m/seg as the problem states. Here's the equation I came up with:

v(t) = t^2 + t

Should I add a -1 to the end so the equation satisfies the premise?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is seg?

Abdul Quadeer said:
What is seg?

I'm sorry, second.

1. What is variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity over time. It can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant velocity).

2. What is the premise of variable acceleration?

The premise of variable acceleration is that the acceleration of an object is not constant and can change based on external factors such as forces acting on the object.

3. How is variable acceleration calculated?

Variable acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What are some examples of variable acceleration?

Some examples of variable acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a ball thrown into the air and then falling back down, and a rollercoaster going up and down hills.

5. What is the significance of understanding variable acceleration?

Understanding variable acceleration is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It helps us to accurately predict the motion of objects and design systems that can safely and efficiently handle changing velocities.