1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable Resistor/Potentiometer

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Ok, today in my Physics exam, we had to draw a circuit which involved a Potentiometer. Anyways, I was drawing the circuit and I had a mental blank of the potentiometer symbol. However, I knew that the diagonal arrow that you draw across a component means variable. I did that instead over a resistor symbol and I was wondering whether that is still a valid symbol to denote potentiometer/variable resistance or does it not exist at all? I remember seeing it somewhere but I wasn't sure whether it was correct or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2
    Yes, as far as I know it is still a valid symbol

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    Yep, still see that frequently--as well as the arrow-wiper version of the symbol. the diagonal line isn't useful in showing a pot with both ends connected plus the wiper (three wire pot) though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook