Variables in a lab (controlled, independant and dependant)

In summary: For example, in a lab involving a spring and a block, the height of the block could be an independent variable while the force exerted by the spring could be a dependent variable.
Simon George
Hi!
So it's new for me to do physics lab that way and my teacher is asking us to define the independant, dependant and controlled variables of every lab we're doing. I'm not quite sure what they refer to... For example, in a moment of inertia lab (see picture), I am asked this question. The objective of this experiment is to experimentally find the moment of inertia of this system with a sensor that will measure the angular velocity. This is what I tried:

controlled variable: moment of inertia of the disk and ring
independant variable: the mass of the hanging mass
dependant varable: the angular velocity

I have no idea if that is good as it is my first time doing this. Please ask below if you have any question about the experiment! thanks:)
4360393_orig.png

Attachments

• 4360393_orig.png
    4360393_orig.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,296
Physics news on Phys.org
Simon George said:
controlled variable: moment of inertia of the disk and ring
independant variable: the mass of the hanging mass
I cannot tell from your description which way around those should be.
A control (or controlled) variable is just something that is constant throughout the a series of tests, and which is not of primary concern. E.g. here the moment of inertia of the pulley would fall into that category. There may be several.
An independent variable should normally be one you are varying deliberately through a series in order to establish a relationship with the dependent variable(s).
If this was just a one-off measurement, I would guess you should make that the parameter to be computed, i.e. the moment of inertia of the ring. (On the princiole that on another such experiment you would use a different ring.)

Likes Simon George
haruspex said:
I cannot tell from your description which way around those should be.
A control (or controlled) variable is just something that is constant throughout the a series of tests, and which is not of primary concern. E.g. here the moment of inertia of the pulley would fall into that category. There may be several.
An independent variable should normally be one you are varying deliberately through a series in order to establish a relationship with the dependent variable(s).
If this was just a one-off measurement, I would guess you should make that the parameter to be computed, i.e. the moment of inertia of the ring. (On the princiole that on another such experiment you would use a different ring.)
Thank you for your answer! It is much more clear in my head now. Since 50g were added in the hanging mass, I think you are right and that the controlled variable is the moment of inertia, the independant is the mass of the hanging mass but I am not sure for the dependent variable... since the mass in the hanging mass is influencing the angular velocity, should I say that the angular velocity AND the angular acceleration are the dependent variable?
Again, thanks for your clear explanation of the variable!

Simon George said:
the angular velocity AND the angular acceleration are the dependent variable?
That is right. There can be any number of dependent variables, but it is perhaps only necessary to list the ones directly measured.
In a more complicated lab there may be more than one independent variable too.

What are variables in a lab?

Variables in a lab are factors that can affect the outcome of an experiment. They can be controlled or manipulated by the scientist to observe their effect on the dependent variable.

What is a controlled variable?

A controlled variable is a factor that is kept constant throughout the experiment. It is not expected to change and is used as a baseline for comparison to the other variables.

What is an independent variable?

An independent variable is a factor that is deliberately changed or manipulated by the scientist in order to observe its effect on the dependent variable. It is also known as the "manipulated variable".

What is a dependent variable?

A dependent variable is the outcome or result of an experiment that is affected by changes in the independent variable. It is also known as the "responding variable".

Why is it important to control variables in a lab?

Controlling variables in a lab allows for a more accurate and reliable experiment. By keeping all other factors constant, the scientist can determine the true effect of the independent variable on the dependent variable. This helps to ensure that any observed changes are a result of the manipulated variable and not any other external factors.