Variation of gravity with height

In summary, the variation of gravity with height can be approximated by the potential function V(z)=mgz(1-z/R), where R is the radius of the Earth and z is the height above the surface. The reference point can be redefined so that V=0 at z=0, and this can be achieved by adding GmM/R to the potential function and expanding it around z=0. This results in the final equation V=mgz(1-2z/R), where g=GM/R^2. The extra factor of two in the equation was due to a mistake in the expansion, which was later corrected.
KBriggs

Homework Statement

Show that the variation of gravity with height can be accounted for approximately by the following potential function:

V(z)=mgz(1-z/R)

Where R is the radius of the Earth and z the height above the surface.

Homework Equations

r=R+z
V=-GmM/r
F=GmM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I said define z such that r = R + z. We have the potential energy function for the Earth as V(r)=-GmM/r, so V(z)=-GmM/(R+z). I then expanded this around z=0 and took the first two terms in the series to get:

V=-GmM/R + GmMz/R^2

and you can factor this to get

V=GmM/R * [1-z/R]

but the force F given by the potential energy function is GmM/R^2 at the surface, so this is equal to mg, so g = GM/R^2

So the V function is then V = mgR[1-z/R]

And here I am stuck. It appears that I am still taking the centre of the planet as my reference point. Can someone help me? I'm stuck.

Somehow I need to redefine the reference point so that V = 0 for z = 0. How can I do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Additional work:

I now have something very close, but not quite.

Since V is unchanged by adding a constant, I added GmM/R to V and swapped r = R+z to get

V(z) = GmM/R - GmM/(R+z), which is 0 at z = 0 as it should be.

Now I expand this around 0 and take the first three terms in the series:

V(0) + zV'(0) + z^2 V''(0)

to get:

0 + zGmM/R^2 -2z^2GmM/R^3

which can be factored and the identity g = GM/R^2 put into get

V = mgz[1-2z/R]

Why do I have an extra factor of two in my answer...?

Oops: forgot to divide by 2 factorial in the expansion...

Last edited:

Your approach is correct so far. To redefine the reference point, you can use the fact that the potential energy at infinity is zero. This means that at a very large distance from the Earth's surface, the potential energy is zero. So, you can subtract this value from your current potential energy function to get a new function where V=0 at z=0. This will give you the desired potential function:

V(z) = mgz(1-z/R) - mgR

Now, when z=0, V=0 and at the Earth's surface (z=R), V=-mgR, which matches with the potential energy at the Earth's surface. This new function takes into account the variation of gravity with height and also satisfies the condition of zero potential energy at infinity.

What is the variation of gravity with height?

The variation of gravity with height, also known as the gravitational gradient, refers to the change in the strength of the gravitational force as an object moves away from the Earth's surface.

Why does gravity vary with height?

Gravity varies with height because the further an object is from the Earth's center, the weaker the gravitational force becomes. This is due to the fact that the Earth's mass is concentrated at its center, causing a decrease in gravitational pull as distance increases.

How does the variation of gravity with height affect objects?

The variation of gravity with height affects objects by causing them to experience a decrease in weight as they move further away from the Earth's surface. This can also impact the trajectory and speed of objects in motion, such as satellites or spacecraft.

What factors can affect the variation of gravity with height?

Several factors can affect the variation of gravity with height, including the mass and density of the Earth, the altitude and latitude of the object, and the shape and rotation of the Earth.

How is the variation of gravity with height measured?

The variation of gravity with height is typically measured using specialized instruments such as gravimeters or accelerometers. These devices can detect minute changes in gravitational force and can be used to map out the gravitational gradient of a specific location.