Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Variation of the metric tensor determinant

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is not homework but more like self-study - thought I'd post it here anyway.

I'm taking the variation of the determinant of the metric tensor:

[itex]\delta(det[g\mu\nu])[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

The answer is

[itex]\delta(det[g\mu\nu])[/itex] =det[g\mu\nu] g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex]

Here, g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex] is the metric tensor, [g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex]] is the matrix of the components of the metric tensor, and [itex]\delta[/itex] is a variation.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have managed to get close to the answer, I hope, with
    [itex]\delta(det[g\mu\nu])[/itex]
    =det[g\mu\nu] tr([g\mu\nu]-1[itex]\delta[/itex]([g\mu\nu]))

The problem, in my view, is the trace. I cannot see how to remove it.

Also, if someone could kindly describe how to tidy the LaTeX up, I will do that.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2
    You can't use the tags in latex. Instead, write g_{\mu \nu}, g^{\mu \nu} etc.

This is a little bit tricky, as you dont really keep track of how your matrices are multiplied together. If you do it with more care, you should find something like
    [tex] \delta \det(g) = \det(g) \mathrm{Tr}( g \cdot \delta(g) ), [/tex]
    with [itex] (g \cdot \delta(g))_{\mu \nu} = g_{\mu \lambda} \delta ({g^\lambda}_\nu) [/itex]
    Now it's easy to see what the trace is:
    [tex] \mathrm{Tr}( g \cdot \delta(g) ) = (g \cdot {\delta(g))_\mu}^{\mu} = g_{\mu \lambda} \delta (g^{\lambda \mu}) [/tex]

4. Dec 13, 2012 #3
    use
    g=(1/4!)εαβγδεμvρσgαμgβvgγρgδσ
    ggαμαβγδεμvρσgβvgγρgδσ
    now when you apply δ on g you can use the second of the above to get whole result.(i am not going to do it in full,because of the requirement of homework section)

5. Dec 14, 2012 #4
    Hmm,may be tough.
    so use Tr (ln M)=ln(det M)
    variation of it yields,
    Tr(M-1 δM)=(1/det M)δ(det M)
    JUST PUT M=gμv

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook