Vector potential due to sudden burst of current in a wire

In this case, ##g(z) = t - \Omega/c##, so ##g'(z) = -1/c## and ##z_0 = ct##. This gives ##\delta(t-\Omega/c) = c \delta(z-ct)##.In summary, the vector potential \vec{A} for a wire oriented in the z direction with a current burst at t=0 can be expressed as \vec{A}(s,t) = \frac{μq\
Aziza
There is a wire oriented in the z direction with no current in it for t<0. At t=0, there is a burst of current: I(t) = qδ(t). What is the vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]? ([itex]\vec{B}[/itex]=∇×[itex]\vec{A}[/itex])

My solution:
let point P be located distance s from the wire, z be length along wire, and Ω be distance from point on wire to point P. Then:

[itex]\vec{A}[/itex](s,t) = [itex]\frac{μq\hat{z}}{4\pi}[/itex][itex]\int^{∞}_{-∞}\frac{δ(t-Ω/c)}{Ω}dz[/itex] = [itex]\frac{μq\hat{z}}{4\pi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{ct}[/itex]

t-Ω/c is the retarded time, thus δ(t) becomes δ(t-Ω/c), and I substituded Ω = √(s2+z2) to get the integral in terms of z. The limits are from -Inf to +Inf because for a given time t, the only contribution to the potential is from z=±√( (ct)2-s2 ). Thus I integrated the expression by plugging in this z value.

The answer is wrong however, and despite perusing the solution I cannot figure it out. The solution rewrites the integral in terms of Ω instead of z, but i don't understand why we cannot just integrate wrt z. Help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the argument of the delta function is some function of ##z##. So, if you are going to use ##z## as the integration variable, you will need to use property (7) given at this link: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeltaFunction.html

Last edited:

1. What exactly is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field in terms of a vector quantity. It is related to the electric current flowing through a wire and can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law.

2. How is the vector potential affected by a sudden burst of current in a wire?

When a sudden burst of current flows through a wire, it creates a changing magnetic field around the wire. This changing magnetic field induces a vector potential, which is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current and the distance from the wire.

3. Why is the vector potential important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields?

The vector potential is important because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space by using the electric current as a source. It helps us understand the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other.

4. Can the vector potential be measured directly?

No, the vector potential is a mathematical concept and cannot be measured directly. However, it can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law or other mathematical equations based on the electric current and its distance from the point of interest.

5. How does the vector potential due to a sudden burst of current differ from a steady current?

A steady current creates a constant and unchanging magnetic field, which results in a constant vector potential. On the other hand, a sudden burst of current creates a changing magnetic field, which leads to a time-varying vector potential. This difference is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different scenarios.