1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector potential due to sudden burst of current in a wire

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    There is a wire oriented in the z direction with no current in it for t<0. At t=0, there is a burst of current: I(t) = qδ(t). What is the vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]? ([itex]\vec{B}[/itex]=∇×[itex]\vec{A}[/itex])

My solution:
    let point P be located distance s from the wire, z be length along wire, and Ω be distance from point on wire to point P. Then:

[itex]\vec{A}[/itex](s,t) = [itex]\frac{μq\hat{z}}{4\pi}[/itex][itex]\int^{∞}_{-∞}\frac{δ(t-Ω/c)}{Ω}dz[/itex] = [itex]\frac{μq\hat{z}}{4\pi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{ct}[/itex]

t-Ω/c is the retarded time, thus δ(t) becomes δ(t-Ω/c), and I substituded Ω = √(s2+z2) to get the integral in terms of z. The limits are from -Inf to +Inf because for a given time t, the only contribution to the potential is from z=±√( (ct)2-s2 ). Thus I integrated the expression by plugging in this z value.

The answer is wrong however, and despite perusing the solution I cannot figure it out. The solution rewrites the integral in terms of Ω instead of z, but i dont understand why we cannot just integrate wrt z. Help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that the argument of the delta function is some function of ##z##. So, if you are going to use ##z## as the integration variable, you will need to use property (7) given at this link: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeltaFunction.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted