1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors -- Adding velocity vectors to make a resultant

1. Aug 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the vectors A-C, given the vectors A and C in Fig. 3-32. Vector A=44.0 at 28 degrees north of east and vector C=31.0 at 90 degrees south of east.

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know any.

3. The attempt at a solution
    44.0-31.0=11.0, 28.0-90= -62
    The answers are 64.6 and 53.1 degrees.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hmmm... you took 2 vector lengths, and subtracted them. That works if they're parallel, but not at different angles.

Write your vectors in a couple different forms and post back. (I'm sure you've seen different ways to express the same vectors)

4. Aug 27, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

We don't see Fig. 3-32, but I assume you do.

First step, sketch the vectors in their given orientation so you can see what you are dealing with.

Second step, remember the rule that says to subtract a vector you can reverse its direction and add it.

BTW, you might need to brush up on your arithmetic, too. :wink:

5. Aug 27, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It's unusual and longwinded to describe a direction as 90 degrees South of East. Are you sure you have that specification correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted