Vectors and finding relative speed

In summary, the task is to find the speed of Particle A with respect to Particle B. The given information includes the velocity vectors and angles of both particles with respect to the x-axis. The equation for solving this problem involves subtracting the velocity vectors, but the angles make it more complex. The attempt at a solution shows a lack of understanding, as the use of k components and Pythagorean Theorem is incorrect. The final answer given, 37.88 k, is not correct.
bluetriangle

Homework Statement

Find Particle A's speed with respect to Particle B.

I am given:
Particle A: (15i - 10j) or 18.03 m/s
angle A: -33.69 degrees

Particle B: (5i + 15j) or 15.81 m/s
angle B: 71.57 degrees

(Both angles with respect to x axis)

Homework Equations

Had there not been any angles, I know I would have to subtract the two vector quantities but I don't know how to solve it with angles.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the k components, found by using Pythagorean Thereom, do I simply subtract k(A) - k(B) ?

that would be 37.88 k.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Blue, and welcome to PF :-)

"Had there not been any angles": well, simply ignore them and use the vector components...

Under 2. Homework Equations , I don't see even a single equation.

Under 3. Attempt at solution, you demonstrate a severe lack of understanding the problem statement.

The ##\bf \hat\imath## and ##\bf \hat\jmath## are unit vectors in the x- and y direction, respectively. That should tell you the velocity vectors are in the x-y plane and the z component is zero. I have no idea what you think you are doing when you calculate k(A) or k(B). You don't show your work either, so it is very difficult for me to guess how you manage to come up with 37.88 k. Where does it come from ? What does it mean ? Particle A's speed with respect to particle B is 37.88 k ?

There is one way I can find 37.875, but i shudder to type it out.

If the exercise as given is too complicated, try an easier one to start with: same question for Particle A: (15i - 10j) Paricle B: (0i + 0j)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by a directed line segment with an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector. Examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves squaring the individual components of the vector, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the sum. For example, if a vector has components of (3, 4), the magnitude would be calculated as √(3² + 4²) = √(9 + 16) = √25 = 5.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures the rate of change of distance. It does not take into account the direction of movement. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of displacement. It includes both the speed and the direction of movement.

4. How do you find the relative speed between two objects?

To find the relative speed between two objects, you must first calculate the individual velocities of each object. Then, you can subtract the velocities to find the relative speed. For example, if one car is traveling east at 50 km/h and another car is traveling north at 40 km/h, the relative speed between the two cars would be √(50² + 40²) = √(2500 + 1600) = √4100 = 64.03 km/h.

5. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted using the parallelogram law or the triangle law. This involves placing the vectors head-to-tail and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors, depending on whether addition or subtraction was used.