1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors of position, velocity, and acceleration.

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    A particle initially located at the origin has an acceleration of a = 3.00j m/s^2 and an initial velocity of v[initial] = 500i m/s. Find (a) the vector position and velocity at any time t and (b) the coordinates and speed of the particle at t = 2.00s.

(a) I looked at the examples given in the chapter, and to find the velocity at any time seemed to be the final velocity, which was found through the equation of v[f] = v + at. That means that the final velocity is equal to it's components added, and the same goes for the initial velocity and acceleration. So:

ax = 0 ay = 3.00 vx = 500 vy = 0

Working each component separately, I got 500i + (3.00t)j.

For the position, I, again, separately worked each component, using the equation r[f] + r + vt + .5at^2.

The initial position is (0,0), so my answer is:

r[f] = (500t)i + (1.5(t^2))j

(b) To find the coordinates of position, I took my last equation from above, and broke it down into it's components, where x[f] = x + vx + .5(ax)(t^2) and y[f] = y + vy + .5(ay)(t^2), all while plugging in 2 for time. x = 1000 and y = 3.

For speed, my previous findings of 500i + (3.00t)j, I got 500i + 6.00j when plugging in 2. That would be the velocity, and taking the absolute value would equal speed. But, I don't think speed is in it's components, and so I drew the hypotenuse of the triangle the vectors formed, and got 500.036 m/s.

...for some reason, I'm not sure if that is right. I kind of guess on taking the hypotenuse, but I don't know if I should do that, if I've already plugged into an equation specifically for velocity. What I'm wondering seems stupid, but, well, X/

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2007 #2
    (a) is correct

for (b), y=3 is incorrect, check your calculations

the speed of 500.036 m/s is correct. Remember, velocity is a vector, so it must have components. Speed is a scalar, hence doesnt have components. It is the magnitude of velocity

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    ah! I forgot to square the time before multiplying it by .5 and the vertical component of acceleration.

Thank you for your help! :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?