Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vegetarians are smarter than meat eaters

1. Dec 15, 2006 #1
    According to recent study, vegetarians average 5 IQ points higher than meat chompers.

But I already knew that. :tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2006 #2
    bah :)

So what happened to you then Sky? :smile:

4. Dec 15, 2006 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No great surprise, but it must be recognised that the study doesn't actually assess the effects of eating meat; it's not shown to be a cause and effect relationship.

5. Dec 15, 2006 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That shouldn't be very surprising. It's much easier to be vegetarian in open-minded and intellectual environments, where smart people often end up. I'd like to see this done with more control for environment.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  6. Dec 15, 2006 #5

J77

Veggies are paler <--- that's a Friday fact! :tongue2:

7. Dec 15, 2006 #6
    Special case of cause-effect for the opposite:
    Since starting to eat more meat again... I feel I've been getting smarter.
    I'm eating more meat because I'm now sharing my meals with a smart man... :!!) and the dialogue during such meals is making me smarter. :biggrin:

8. Dec 15, 2006 #7
    10 out of 9 are fooled by statistics :smile:

9. Dec 15, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

First the title of the article is misleading, It states "High IQ link to being vegetarian", but then listed these scores which are low average IQ "Men who were vegetarian had an IQ score of 106, compared with 101 for non-vegetarians; while female vegetarians averaged 104, compared with 99 for non-vegetarians."

Also, eating a vegetarian diet doesn't raise your IQ, the article states that more people that tested with average IQ's (sorry 104-106 is NOT a high IQ) chose to be vegetarian, and some that claimed to be vegetartian also included chicken and fish in their diets! :bugeye:

IQ scores of 90-110 are AVERAGE. :rolleyes:

I've always been a vegetable lover, but sometimes meat is the only thing that will hit the spot.

10. Dec 15, 2006 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Of course it is true. We meat-eaters are put together with that segment of the population that frequents MacDonald's..

11. Dec 15, 2006 #10

Evo

I don't think that's meat...:eek:

12. Dec 15, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

But THEY don't know that, and identify themselves as meat-eaters all the same, lowering our average wrt. to the rabbits. :grumpy:

13. Dec 15, 2006 #12

Evo

:rofl: :rofl:

14. Dec 15, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

This can't be right. I'm going to have to sit me down with a rack of ribs and think on it a mite.

15. Dec 15, 2006 #14

turbo

Gold Member

No venison for me this year - the deer managed to elude me this season. Maybe they're smarter than me because they are vegetarians?

16. Dec 15, 2006 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The vegetarians scored higher on the IQ tests because they're herd animals. Didn't the experimenter notice that there were five of them all gathered around the same test paper??

17. Dec 15, 2006 #16
    The study does not imply that if you become a vegetarian before you are 30, it will improve your IQ score when you were 10. What it does imply (whether it's true is another question) is that if you are hiring people and want an extra 5 IQ points without actually running an IQ test, you should choose people who were vegetarian before they were 30. That is, assuming that the advantage at 10 hasn't dissipated.

18. Dec 15, 2006 #17

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DaveC is right - it's essentially a meaningless study (if you want to call it that).

19. Dec 15, 2006 #18

Mk

I wonder what the margin of error was for this study anyway?

We all know there's more vegetarians in California than hicktown or Africa. It's demographics.

20. Dec 15, 2006 #19
    B]and some that claimed to be vegetartian also included chicken and fish in their diets![/B] Are these the smart, average or the below average vegetarians that included fish and chicken in their diet.... of course the next question is, how much did these folks skew the data ::rolleyes:

21. Dec 15, 2006 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?