Velocity & Accel of a mass inside a slot on a rolling disk

In summary: Assuming that the mass is at the centre of the disk, then v_A = R*Ω and v_B = v_A + v_B/A. So, solving for v_B/A, we get v_B/A = (R*Ω+v_B)/(R+v_B*A).
zealeth

Homework Statement

The disk in Figure 3.30 of radius R rolls without slipping with constant angular velocity Ω. Carved inside the disk is a slot and a mass moves inside the slot. Denoting the position of the mass inside the slot by s, calculate the velocity and acceleration of the mass as a function of θ.

ZyxGcmB.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
v_A = RΩ
v_B = v_A + v_B/A
a = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

v_A = R*Ω, which is fairly obvious since the disk does not slip. v_B is then = R*Ω + v_B/A
Finding v_B/A is where I'm having issues. My first thought is that it would be Ω*√((5R/8)^2+s^2), but this isn't in terms of θ and is only angular velocity. I've thought about trying to relate θ using the relation tan(θ) = 8s/(5R), but I don't know how to fit this into the equation.

I haven't taken a look at finding the acceleration yet, but I imagine I could just take the time derivative of the velocity equation to get the acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to think in terms of instantaneous centre of rotation. Where is that for a rolling disc?

haruspex said:
It might help to think in terms of instantaneous centre of rotation. Where is that for a rolling disc?

The instantaneous center is at the point where it contacts the ground, or in this case, point C. I don't know how I would relate this to the velocity of the mass since the mass's instant center is changing as the disk rolls.

zealeth said:
The instantaneous center is at the point where it contacts the ground, or in this case, point C. I don't know how I would relate this to the velocity of the mass since the mass's instant center is changing as the disk rolls.
Sure, there is a velocity relative to the disk as well, but the direction of that is constrained. So it remains to find the total speed. How might you do that?

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity describes how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration describes how quickly the velocity is changing.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its velocity and acceleration inside a rolling disk?

The mass of an object does not affect its velocity or acceleration inside a rolling disk. The velocity and acceleration are determined by the rotational speed and radius of the disk, not the mass of the object inside.

3. Can the velocity and acceleration of an object inside a rolling disk be negative?

Yes, the velocity and acceleration of an object inside a rolling disk can be negative. This would indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the rotational motion of the disk.

4. How can we calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object inside a rolling disk?

The velocity of an object inside a rolling disk can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disk. The acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = ω²r, where a is the linear acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disk.

5. What factors can affect the velocity and acceleration of an object inside a rolling disk?

The velocity and acceleration of an object inside a rolling disk can be affected by the rotational speed of the disk, the radius of the disk, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or gravity. The mass of the object inside the disk does not affect its velocity and acceleration.