1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity, acceleration, and position graphs

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1
    I have the answers, but I don't know how to get them.

The starting graph is a position-time graph of a basketball being thrown straight up into the air.
    From that graph i have to find an acceleration-time graph, and a velocity-time graph.

Can someone explain to me the acceleration-time graph? why is it a constant negative line, if the graph of the position graph first goes up then down?

I think I understand how the velocity-time graph works with this.

My next question wants a graph of position vs. time, and a graph of velocity vs. time for an object moving with a constant negative acceleration.
    again i have the answers, but I really don't know how to get to them.
    thanks in advance for the explanations :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

The acceleration-time graph is a line, which means acceleration remains constant. That's how gravity works; all objects, regardless of mass, fall at an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 down.

For your second question, try writing out the object's velocity in an equation; ditto for its position. v=at, and d=?

4. Aug 30, 2009 #3
    A horizontal line with a slope of zero, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook