1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and accleration of a particle

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves along a curve whose equations are:
    x=3e^(-2t)
    y=4sin3t
    z=5cos3t
    where t is the time.
    a) Find the velocity and acceleration at any time.
    b) Find the magnitudes of the velocity and acceleration at time t=0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the velocity is d/dt of the position and acceleration is d/dt of velocity. How can i find the velocity? If i take the derivative of all three functions, i will get three different velocities.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is the magnitude of a vector related to it's components?

4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    the magnitude is the square root of the components squared.

5. Sep 18, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right! So apply that to the velocity and acceleration vectors to get the magnitude.The three different velocities and accelerations are components of vectors.

6. Sep 18, 2007 #5
    so i find the velocities. then i have three different velocities, but i cant find the magnitude if i dont find velocity for a certain t.
    v(x)= -6e^(-2t)
    v(y)= 12cos3t
    v(z)=-15sin3t

a(x)=12e^(-2t)
    a(y)=-36sin3t
    a(z)=-45cos3t

now what...?

7. Sep 18, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ordinarily, I would just say find the magnitudes as a function of t. But your problem says find them at t=0.

8. Sep 18, 2007 #7
    well i can do part b with t=0. what about part a? i mean i have three different velocities and three different accelerations. for velocity, if i take the three components and square them then add them and find the square root, that gives the speed. its not a velocity at any time t. i'm assuming for part a, i need just one equation for velocity and one for acceleration.

9. Sep 18, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your vector v above is the velocity at any time t. If you want a specific time then plug it in but if they say for ANY t, then that's the answer. Ditto for a.

10. Sep 18, 2007 #9
    aren't there three vectors? three different equations for v? don't they want only one equation for velocity? and one for acceleration?

11. Sep 18, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, there is one vector v(t)=(-6e^(-2t),12*cos(3t),-15sin(3t)). The vector has three components. You are done.

12. Sep 18, 2007 #11
    Oh! Well i am done with this problem. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?