Radiation emitted by a decelerated particle

In summary, the power radiated by an accelerated particle is equal to the product of the acceleration and the velocity squared, multiplied by the gamma factor.
physics_student123
Homework Statement
A particle with charge q and a relativistic velocity $$\vec{v}_0$$ penetrates a medium in which it is decelerated by a force proportional to its velocity, $$\vec{F} = -\alpha\vec{v}$$, with $$\alpha$$ constant. How much energy is emitted in the form of electromagnetic radiation until the particle stops? Assume the medium behaves like vacuum for the radiation.
Relevant Equations
relativistic Larmor formula: $$P = \frac{2e^2\gamma^6}{3c}[\dot{\beta}^2 - (\vec{\beta}\times\dot{\vec{\beta}})^2]$$ where $$\vec{\beta} = \vec{v}/c$$ and $$\gamma$$ is the usual Lorentz factor.
Honestly, folks, I don't even know how to start. I included in the Relevant Equations section the relativistic generalization of the Larmor formula according to Jackson, because that's the equation for the power emitted by an accelerated particle, but I don't see how that gets me very far.

The only thing I realized while thinking about this problem is that the second term inside the brackets in the equation, $$(\vec{\beta}\times\dot{\vec{\beta}})^2$$, is zero, because the velocity and the acceleration are collinear.

Any help or insight would be most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is the external force.
There will be a reaction force from the emitted radiation.
These together will decelerate the particle.
See if that gives you a place to start. ( I have not worked this out...)

Likes physics_student123
physics_student123 said:
The only thing I realized while thinking about this problem is that the second term inside the brackets in the equation, $$(\vec{\beta}\times\dot{\vec{\beta}})^2$$, is zero, because the velocity and the acceleration are collinear.
Yes
physics_student123 said:
Any help or insight would be most appreciated!
You're given the force: ##F = -\alpha v ##. I think you are meant to assume that this relation holds for the entire deceleration of the electron as it comes to a stop and that ##F## is the net force. But I could be wrong. If you do make this assumption, then it's not too hard to determine the total energy radiated.

My hint to get you started: Can you derive an expression for the rate of change of relativistic momentum when the acceleration and velocity are colinear? How is this related to the net force ##F##?

Likes physics_student123
Thank you for your replies, hutchphd and TSny.
TSny, the rate of change of relativistic momentum, which is equal to the net force F, is given by
$$\dot{\vec{p}} = \gamma m\vec{a} + \gamma^3m\left(\frac{va}{c^2}\right)\vec{v}$$
but I don't understand how to input the information that the acceleration and the velocity are collinear.

physics_student123 said:
the rate of change of relativistic momentum, which is equal to the net force F, is given by
$$\dot{\vec{p}} = \gamma m\vec{a} + \gamma^3m\left(\frac{va}{c^2}\right)\vec{v}$$
but I don't understand how to input the information that the acceleration and the velocity are collinear.
The particle moves along a straight line. Directions along the line can be distinguished as positive or negative. So, we don't really need to use vectors.

Thus, we can simply write ##p = \gamma mv = \gamma mc \beta##.

Take the time derivative and see if you can reduce it to $$\dot p = mc\frac{\dot \beta}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}. $$.

Likes physics_student123
Yes, I managed to do it, TSny. $$\dot{p} = \dot{\gamma}mc\beta + \gamma mc\dot{\beta}$$

$$\dot{p} = \frac{\beta^2\dot{\beta}mc}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}} + \gamma mc\dot{\beta}= \frac{\dot{\beta}mc}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}\left(\frac{\beta^2}{1-\beta^2}+1\right) = \frac{\dot{\beta}mc}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}$$

This is equal to the net force F, right?

P.S. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Likes vanhees71
physics_student123 said:
Yes, I managed to do it, TSny. $$\dot{p} = \dot{\gamma}mc\beta + \gamma mc\dot{\beta}$$

$$\dot{p} = \frac{\beta^2\dot{\beta}mc}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}} + \gamma mc\dot{\beta}= \frac{\dot{\beta}mc}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}\left(\frac{\beta^2}{1-\beta^2}+1\right) = \frac{\dot{\beta}mc}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}$$
Looks good.

physics_student123 said:
This is equal to the net force F, right?
Yes. This allows you to find ##\dot \beta## as a function of ##\beta## that you can use in the expression for the power radiated.

physics_student123 said:
P.S. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
No problem. That actually wasn't long. It's expected that other things can come up that we need to look after (not to mention sleep!).

Likes vanhees71 and physics_student123
So we have $$\frac{\dot{\beta}mc}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}} = -\alpha c\beta$$ which implies $$\dot{\beta} = -\frac{\alpha\beta}{m}(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}$$
Using this in the relativistic Larmor formula, we get $$P = \frac{2e^2\gamma^6\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}(1-\beta^2)^3$$ but this is the power radiated at a given instant in time. I'm not seeing right now how to get to the total energy emitted in the form of electromagnetic radiation...

physics_student123 said:
$$P = \frac{2e^2\gamma^6\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}(1-\beta^2)^3$$
Yes. Express ##(1-\beta^2)^3## in terms of ##\gamma## and watch something neat happen. (It deserves at least one "hallelujah!")

physics_student123 said:
but this is the power radiated at a given instant in time. I'm not seeing right now how to get to the total energy emitted in the form of electromagnetic radiation...
How are power and energy related?

$$P = \frac{2e^2\gamma^6\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}(1-\beta^2)^3 = \frac{2e^2\gamma^6\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}\frac{1}{\gamma^6} = \frac{2e^2\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}$$

Indeed, hallelujah!

Power is the time derivative of work, which is energy transferred, so in order to find the total energy emitted by the particle until it stops, I would have to integrate the expression above in time. So we have
$$\int Pdt = \int\frac{2e^2\alpha^2}{3cm^2}\frac{v^2}{c^2}dt$$
Using the fact that ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = -\alpha v## which implies ##-\frac{m}{\alpha}\frac{dv}{v} = dt##, we get
$$\int Pdt = -\frac{2e^2\alpha^2}{3cm^2}\frac{m}{\alpha}\frac{1}{c^2}\int_{v_0}^0v^2\frac{dv}{v} = -\frac{2e^2\alpha}{3c^3m}\int_{v_0}^0vdv = \frac{e^2\alpha v_0^2}{3c^3m}$$
Is that the answer?

physics_student123 said:
$$P = \frac{2e^2\gamma^6\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}(1-\beta^2)^3 = \frac{2e^2\gamma^6\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}\frac{1}{\gamma^6} = \frac{2e^2\alpha^2\beta^2}{3cm^2}$$

Indeed, hallelujah!
Good

physics_student123 said:
Power is the time derivative of work, which is energy transferred, so in order to find the total energy emitted by the particle until it stops, I would have to integrate the expression above in time. So we have
$$\int Pdt = \int\frac{2e^2\alpha^2}{3cm^2}\frac{v^2}{c^2}dt$$
OK. I would keep writing ##\frac{v^2}{c^2}## as ##\beta^2##.

Note that you can write $$dt = \frac{dt}{d\beta}d\beta = \frac{d \beta}{\dot{\beta}}$$ and you know how to express ##\dot{\beta}## in terms of ##\beta##.

physics_student123 said:
Using the fact that ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = -\alpha v##

##F \neq ma## in relativistic mechanics.

Ok, so we have ##dt = -\frac{d\beta}{\frac{\alpha}{m}\beta(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}## which implies
$$\int_{t=0}^{t=t_f}Pdt = -\frac{2e^2\alpha^2}{3cm^2}\int_{\beta_0 = \frac{v_0}{c}}^0\beta^2\frac{1}{\frac{\alpha}{m}\beta(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}d\beta = -\frac{2e^2\alpha}{3cm}\int_{\beta_0}^0\frac{\beta}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}d\beta $$
which gives us
$$\int_{t=0}^{t_f}Pdt = \frac{2e^2\alpha}{3cm}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta_0^2}}-1\right) = \frac{2e^2\alpha}{3cm}(\gamma_0 - 1)$$
with ##\gamma_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta_0^2}}##. Is that the answer, TSny?

physics_student123 said:
Ok, so we have ##dt = -\frac{d\beta}{\frac{\alpha}{m}\beta(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}## which implies
$$\int_{t=0}^{t=t_f}Pdt = -\frac{2e^2\alpha^2}{3cm^2}\int_{\beta_0 = \frac{v_0}{c}}^0\beta^2\frac{1}{\frac{\alpha}{m}\beta(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}d\beta = -\frac{2e^2\alpha}{3cm}\int_{\beta_0}^0\frac{\beta}{(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}}d\beta $$
which gives us
$$\int_{t=0}^{t_f}Pdt = \frac{2e^2\alpha}{3cm}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta_0^2}}-1\right) = \frac{2e^2\alpha}{3cm}(\gamma_0 - 1)$$
with ##\gamma_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta_0^2}}##.
I think that's right. (It's a good idea to check that the answer has the dimensions of energy.)

Good work.

The units are indeed proving to be a problem, TSny. From the relation ##F = -\alpha v##, one arrives at the conclusion that the units of ##\alpha## are ##kilogram/second##. But from the expression that I derived above with your help, the units of ##\frac{2e^2\alpha}{3cm}(\gamma_0-1)## are ##[coulomb]^2/meter##, which are not, as far as I know, the units of energy. So there is something wrong somewhere.

I think the Larmor formula is in Gaussian units and the so $$ q^2 \to \frac {q^2} {4 \pi \epsilon_0} $$ and maybe worse. Sure am glad its not my problem!

Likes physics_student123 and TSny
Yes. In Gaussian units, (charge)2 divided by distance has dimensions of energy. For example, the potential energy of two point charges separated by distance ##r## is ##\frac{q_1q_2}{r}##.

Ah, very well then. I'm not used to Gaussian units.

TSny, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time and effort to help me with this problem. I simply could not have done it without you. Your help was invaluable.

Also, thank you hutchphd for your answers.

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71, hutchphd and 1 other person

1. What is radiation emitted by a decelerated particle?

Radiation emitted by a decelerated particle is a form of energy that is released when a charged particle, such as an electron, is slowed down or stopped. This can occur when the particle interacts with other particles or fields, such as in a particle accelerator or during radioactive decay.

2. How is radiation emitted by a decelerated particle different from other types of radiation?

Radiation emitted by a decelerated particle is different from other types of radiation, such as electromagnetic radiation, because it is produced by the movement of charged particles rather than by electromagnetic waves. It also has a different energy spectrum and can have different effects on biological organisms.

3. What are the potential hazards of radiation emitted by a decelerated particle?

The potential hazards of radiation emitted by a decelerated particle depend on the energy and type of the emitted radiation. Some types of radiation, such as gamma rays, can penetrate living tissue and cause damage to cells and DNA, potentially leading to health problems. However, the amount of radiation emitted by a decelerated particle is typically very small and not a significant health concern.

4. How is radiation emitted by a decelerated particle measured and detected?

Radiation emitted by a decelerated particle can be measured and detected using instruments such as Geiger counters, scintillation detectors, and ionization chambers. These devices can detect the presence and intensity of radiation and can also determine the type of radiation emitted.

5. How is radiation emitted by a decelerated particle used in scientific research and technology?

Radiation emitted by a decelerated particle has many important applications in scientific research and technology. It is used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-rays and PET scans, to diagnose and treat diseases. It is also used in particle accelerators to study the fundamental properties of matter and to create new materials. Additionally, radiation emitted by a decelerated particle is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity.