Velocity and position of the particle as a function of time

In summary: Hi!In summary, the particle starts from the origin with a velocity of 5 meters per second and moves in the xy plane with a varying acceleration.
shahin93

Homework Statement

A particle starts from the origin with velocity 5 m/s at t = 0 and moves in the xy plane with a varying acceleration given by a = (9*squareroot*t)j, where "a" is in meters per second squared and t is in seconds.

Determine the velocity of the particle as a function of time.
Determine the position of the particle as a function of time

Homework Equations

I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,244
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
So you first might like to recall how does one determine acceleration, velocity and all that:
Remember that:
[itex]
\large
\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2} = \vec{a}
[/itex]
Split the components;
The acceleration is given only in the [itex] \hat{j} [/itex] direction, so that you're left with the simple task of integrating
[itex]
\frac{dv_y}{dt} = 9\sqrt{t}
[/itex]
Try it,
Daniel

danielakkerma said:
Hi!
So you first might like to recall how does one determine acceleration, velocity and all that:
Remember that:
[itex]
\large
\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2} = \vec{a}
[/itex]
Split the components;
The acceleration is given only in the [itex] \hat{j} [/itex] direction, so that you're left with the simple task of integrating
[itex]
\frac{dv_y}{dt} = 9\sqrt{t}
[/itex]
Try it,
Daniel

i tried that, i didnt get the right answer, can u show me your steps?

Certainly!
Look here:
The velocity vector has two components, i, and j; in the i direction, it was initially constant, and with the abscence of acceleration in that direction it will remain so.
In in the j direction, after integration, we get:
[itex]
\large
v_j = \displaystyle \int 9\sqrt{t}dt = 9\frac{2}{3}t^{\frac{3}{2}}=6t^{\frac{3}{2}}
[/itex]
[itex]
\large
v_i = 5
[/itex]
[itex]
\large
v = \sqrt{{v_i}^2 + {v_j}^2} = \sqrt{25+36t^3}
[/itex]
And in order to evaluate the position, all you need is a simple exercise in calculus for [itex] r=\displaystyle \int vdt [/itex], again, by integrating each fraction of the velocity separately, and r = sqrt(r_i^2+r_j^2) as before...
Daniel

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to understand and apply the fundamental equations of motion to solve problems related to the position and velocity of a particle. In this case, we can use the equations of motion to determine the velocity and position of the particle as a function of time.

First, let's start with the equation for velocity: v = u + at. In this equation, v represents the final velocity, u represents the initial velocity, a represents the acceleration, and t represents time.

In this problem, we are given the initial velocity (u = 5 m/s) and the acceleration (a = 9*squareroot*t). Therefore, we can plug these values into the equation and get the velocity as a function of time: v = 5 + (9*squareroot*t).

Next, we can use the equation for position: s = ut + (1/2)at^2. In this equation, s represents the final position, u represents the initial velocity, a represents the acceleration, and t represents time.

Again, we are given the initial velocity (u = 5 m/s) and the acceleration (a = 9*squareroot*t). Therefore, we can plug these values into the equation and get the position as a function of time: s = 5t + (1/2)(9*squareroot*t)t^2.

By using these equations, we can determine the velocity and position of the particle at any given time. It is important to note that these equations assume that the acceleration is constant, which may not be the case for this problem. If the acceleration is not constant, we would need to use more advanced equations of motion to accurately calculate the velocity and position of the particle.

1. What is the relationship between velocity and position of a particle as a function of time?

The velocity and position of a particle are related by the derivative and integral, respectively, of the position function with respect to time. This means that the velocity of a particle is the rate of change of its position, while the position of a particle is the accumulation of its velocity over time.

2. How can the velocity of a particle be determined from its position function?

The velocity of a particle can be determined by taking the derivative of its position function with respect to time. This will give the instantaneous velocity of the particle at any given point in time.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of how fast the particle is moving, while instantaneous velocity gives the exact speed and direction of the particle at a specific moment.

4. Can a particle have a constant velocity and changing position?

Yes, a particle can have a constant velocity and still have a changing position. This occurs when the particle is moving in a straight line at a constant speed. In this case, the velocity remains constant, but the position changes as the particle moves further along its path.

5. How does acceleration affect the velocity and position of a particle?

Acceleration affects the velocity of a particle by changing its speed or direction. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the particle's speed will increase. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the particle's speed will decrease. As for position, acceleration changes the rate at which the position changes over time. A constant acceleration will result in a linear change in position, while a changing acceleration will result in a curved path.