1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and position of the particle as a function of time

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle starts from the origin with velocity 5 m/s at t = 0 and moves in the xy plane with a varying acceleration given by a = (9*squareroot*t)j, where "a" is in meters per second squared and t is in seconds.

Determine the velocity of the particle as a function of time.
    Determine the position of the particle as a function of time

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
    Hi!
    So you first might like to recall how does one determine acceleration, velocity and all that:
    Remember that:
    [itex]
    \large
    \frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2} = \vec{a}
    [/itex]
    Split the components;
    The acceleration is given only in the [itex] \hat{j} [/itex] direction, so that you're left with the simple task of integrating
    [itex]
    \frac{dv_y}{dt} = 9\sqrt{t}
    [/itex]
    Try it,
    Daniel

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    i tried that, i didnt get the right answer, can u show me your steps?

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    Certainly!
    Look here:
    The velocity vector has two components, i, and j; in the i direction, it was initially constant, and with the abscence of acceleration in that direction it will remain so.
    In in the j direction, after integration, we get:
    [itex]
    \large
    v_j = \displaystyle \int 9\sqrt{t}dt = 9\frac{2}{3}t^{\frac{3}{2}}=6t^{\frac{3}{2}}
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    \large
    v_i = 5
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    \large
    v = \sqrt{{v_i}^2 + {v_j}^2} = \sqrt{25+36t^3}
    [/itex]
    And in order to evaluate the position, all you need is a simple exercise in calculus for [itex] r=\displaystyle \int vdt [/itex], again, by integrating each fraction of the velocity separately, and r = sqrt(r_i^2+r_j^2) as before...
    Daniel

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook