1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity as a function of time -- Terminal Velocity

1. Sep 26, 2015 #1
    I am having trouble finding a staring place. My class requires us to use python to solve the equation.

This problem requires me to use eulers method to solve it. My issues is that i am getting confused as of how to find the v(t). Its been a while since i have had to do advance physics like this. Any help would be appreciated.

The question asks:

When jumping from an airplane, you will most often have a parachute to slow your fall. Here let's consider a very simple example in which the frictional drag force is linearly dependent on the velocity:

dv/dt=a−bv

where a and b are constants. In our case a corresponds to the acceleration due to gravity, and b is a constant from drag. Note that the drag force is negative, indicating it opposes the motion. Use the Euler method to solve for v as a function of time and plot your results. A convenient choice of parameters is a=10and b=1. You should find that v approaches a constant value at long times: this is the terminal velocity. If you open your chute immediately after jumping from the plane, you will have vinitial∼1 m/s, but if you wait a minute or so, you will have vinitial∼50 m/s. Plot both v(t) curves on the same plot with a legend.

I am just getting confused with : if the equations says dv/dt = a=bv , where would i insert t for v(t) if the equation has no t except for the dt in the denominator.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please don't delete the homework template.
    It is a differential equation, you have to solve it first.

4. Sep 26, 2015 #3

gneill

First, what do you know about Euler's Method?

5. Sep 26, 2015 #4
    I do not need to know about Euler's method right now . I just need help on figuring out the v(t) equation which is the first step of this problem. I will have to code The euler's method later on.

6. Sep 26, 2015 #5

gneill

You won't have a v(t) equation. You'll have a dv/dt equation (which you already have). Then you'll apply Euler's Method to that. So you really should read up on Euler's method first. A web search should turn up many references and examples of its application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted