Velocity of a cart moving in the rain as a function of time

In summary, the mass of the cart is ##M_0## and velocity is ##v_0## in a time interval ##dt##. A mass of ##dm## is added to the cart due to the pouring water and the reduction in speed is ##dv##. Using conservation of momentum from the ground frame, it is given that ##M_0 v_0 = (M_0 + dm)(v_0 - dv)##. However, on substituting ##dm## in terms of ##\lambda## and ##dt##, a differential equation is obtained that I am unable to solve. Using the simpler method of directly applying the conservation of momentum, it is found that ##
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
A cart of mass ##M_0## is moving with a velocity ##v_0##. At t = 0. water starts pouring on the cart from the container above the cart at the rate ##\lambda##kg/sec. Find the velocity of the cart as a function of time.
Relevant Equations
-
At time t = 0, the mass of the cart is ##M_0## and velocity is ##v_0## in a time interval ##dt## let a mass of ##dm## be added to the cart due to the pouring water and let the reduction in speed be ##dv##
##\lambda = dm/dt##

applying conservation of momentum from the ground frame gives $$M_0 v_0 = (M_0 + dm)(v_0 - dv)$$
however on substituting ##dm## in terms of ##\lambda## and ##dt## gives a differential equation that I am unable to solve. :oldconfused:

In class we were given a formula $$ F_{thrust} = v_{relative} \frac{dm}{dt}$$
we derived this formula to give the thrust of a rocket(but it can be used for any variable mass system with a few tweaks)

using this formula here gives $$\lambda (-v) = (M_0 + \lambda t)(dv/dt)$$
solving this equation yields the correct answer(##v = \frac{M_0 v_0}{M_0 + \lambda t}##). Instead of blindly applying the above-stated formula on the given problem I tried to derive it in the process of solving the problem but I am ending up with a rather weird-looking equation.

I also figured out a much simpler method that does not require any calculus its simple directly applying the conservation of momentum $$M_0 v_0 = (M_0 + \lambda t)v$$ which gives the correct answer but I want to know why the first method I am trying to use isn't working.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
is ##v_0 e^{\frac{-\lambda}{m}t} = \frac {mv_0}{m+\lambda t}##? (or is there a mistake in the answer I have stated above)
also shouldn't the equation for the thrust exeretd by the water be $$v_{rel,x}\frac{dm}{dt} = (m + \lambda t)\frac{dv}{dt}$$
also, your first method makes a lot of sense but the answer isn't matching with the solution?

Hamiltonian299792458 said:
using this formula here gives $$\lambda (-v) = (M_0 + \lambda t)(dv/dt)$$
solving this equation yields the correct answer(##v = \frac{M_0 v_0}{M_0 + \lambda t}##).

I also figured out a much simpler method that does not require any calculus its simply directly applying the conservation of momentum $$M_0 v_0 = (M_0 + \lambda t)v$$ which gives the correct answer but I want to know why the first method I am trying to use isn't working.
so is ##v = \frac{M_0 v_0}{M_0 + \lambda t}## wrong?(because that's what's given in the solutions)
I took sample values to see if ##v_0 e^{\frac{-\lambda}{m}t} = \frac {mv_0}{m+\lambda t}## and they arent equalo0)
also I understood @etotheipi method but I still don't see what is wrong with my second and third method(mentioned above).

etotheipi said:
Clear the ##mv## from both sides and you get $$mdv = - \lambda v dt \implies \int \frac{dv}{v} = - \int \frac{\lambda}{m} dt \implies v = v_0e^{-\frac{\lambda}{m} t}$$
Whoa! m=m(t)=M0+λt:
##\int \frac{\lambda}{m} dt=\int \frac{\lambda}{M_0+\lambda t} dt##
##\Delta \ln(v)=-\Delta \ln(M_0+\lambda t)##
##v=\frac{M_0v_0}{M_0+\lambda t}##

Likes Leo Liu, etotheipi and Hamiltonian
Arghhh I think my brain switched off... I'm going to delete my stuff now

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a cart in the rain as a function of time?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a cart in the rain as a function of time is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How does the rain affect the velocity of a cart?

The rain can affect the velocity of a cart by creating friction and resistance, which can slow down the cart's movement. The amount of rain and the surface of the ground can also impact the velocity of the cart.

3. Is there a maximum velocity that a cart can reach in the rain?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that a cart can reach in the rain. This is due to the force of friction and resistance from the rain, as well as the limitations of the cart's design and materials.

4. How does the velocity of a cart change over time in the rain?

The velocity of a cart in the rain can change over time depending on various factors such as the intensity of the rain, the surface of the ground, and the weight and design of the cart. Generally, the velocity will decrease over time due to the effects of friction and resistance.

5. Can the velocity of a cart in the rain be increased?

Yes, the velocity of a cart in the rain can be increased by reducing the effects of friction and resistance, such as by using a smoother surface or reducing the weight of the cart. However, there will always be a limit to how much the velocity can be increased due to the natural forces at play.