Velocity-distance graph for a freely falling body

In summary: That gives you the orientation of the graph. The 9.8 is just a scale factor, so it will look like a thinner, taller parabola.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between velocity (v), distance (s), and time (t) for a falling object. It is noted that v/s=t only applies if v is constant, but in the case of free fall, v is not constant. Instead, the equation v = 9.8 x √ (s/4.9) is derived, which can be graphed as a parabola with the y-axis representing velocity and the x-axis representing distance. The conversation concludes that as time increases, the gradient of the graph decreases,
g9WfI
Homework Statement
Which graph, A, B, C or D, best represents the relationship between the variables x and y where:
y is the velocity of an object falling freely from rest, x is the distance fallen?

I attach choices of graphs below.
Relevant Equations
Equations of motion
IMG_0814.JPG

My reasoning:
Gradient of graph = v/s = t
t increasing therefore gradient increasing
So graph B

The answer is C.

Likes Shovon00000
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

v/s = t is only true if v is constant. In free fall v is not constant.

If you write down equations for x and y as a function of time you can eliminate t to find v(s) .

##\ ##

Likes Shovon00000
g9WfI said:
v/s = t
If you divide metres per second by metres, what do you get?
BvU said:
v/s = t is only true if v is constant
Not even then.

Oops ! Slight oversight o:). But even s = v t does not apply.

Thankie Australia !

##\ ##

haruspex said:
If you divide metres per second by metres, what do you get?
Ah - 1/t
So as t increases, gradient decreases.
So answer is C.

Likes rsk
BvU said:
If you write down equations for x and y as a function of time you can eliminate t to find v(s) .
I get v = 9.8 x √ (s/4.9)
Putting that into a graphing calculator I get a graph which looks like C, but I wouldn't have been able to recognise that myself :/

Likes BvU
g9WfI said:
Putting that into a graphing calculator I get a graph which looks like C, but I wouldn't have been able to recognise that myself :/
It makes sense if you think about energy. For a given distance, the loss in GPE is constant: in this case ##mg\Delta x##.

But, the increase in KE is ##\frac 1 2 m[(v + \Delta v)^2 - v^2] = \frac 1 2 m\Delta v(2v + \Delta v)##.

As ##x## increases, ##v## increases and the change ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta x}## must decrease.

g9WfI said:
Ah - 1/t
So as t increases, gradient decreases.
So answer is C.
As @BvU notes, v/s=1/t is only true for constant velocity. More generally, ##v_{avg}/s=1/t##, but that is with v averaged over time. There is no easy way to relate that to the instantaneous v used in the graph axis.
g9WfI said:
If you write it instead as ##v^2=2gs## you should recognise that as a parabola. Setting y=2gs and x=v it gives the classic ##y=x^2##, so you should be looking for that graph but flipped around, swapping the x and y axes.

Likes g9WfI and PeroK

1. What is a velocity-distance graph for a freely falling body?

A velocity-distance graph for a freely falling body is a graphical representation of the relationship between the velocity and distance traveled by an object as it falls under the influence of gravity. It shows how the velocity of the object changes over time as it falls.

2. How is a velocity-distance graph for a freely falling body created?

To create a velocity-distance graph for a freely falling body, the distance traveled by the object is plotted on the x-axis and the velocity of the object is plotted on the y-axis. The data points are then connected to create a smooth curve that represents the changing velocity of the object as it falls.

3. What does the slope of a velocity-distance graph represent?

The slope of a velocity-distance graph represents the acceleration of the object. In the case of a freely falling body, the slope of the graph is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s².

4. How can a velocity-distance graph be used to determine the time of flight for a freely falling body?

By analyzing the shape of the velocity-distance graph, the time of flight for a freely falling body can be determined. The time of flight is equal to the time it takes for the velocity to reach zero, which can be found by identifying the point where the graph intersects the x-axis.

5. What happens to the velocity-distance graph for a freely falling body if air resistance is present?

If air resistance is present, the velocity-distance graph for a freely falling body will show a curved line instead of a straight line. This is because air resistance will slow down the object's acceleration, resulting in a slower increase in velocity over time.