Maximizing Free Fall Distance: Solving for Equal Time Intervals

In summary: The time interval (t2-t1) can be found by using the following equation:t2-t1=x*t2+y*(t1-t2)In this equation, x and y represent the distance traveled between t2 and t1, and t2 and t1 represent the time intervals.
Juliusz

Homework Statement

A body is falling from a height of 720m. Divide this distance into three parts so that the body would overcome all parts in the same time.

P.S (This is translated from a different language)

Homework Equations

x(t)= x0+V0+at2/2
v(t)=V0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I made an acceleration over time graph, and thought about diving it into three equal parts, and the area would be the velocity. But I can't figure out how to divide it into three equal parts, or if this is the correct way to solve the problem at all.
The graph: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/l9nkar1tqa

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the total time it takes to fall? Start with that.

Likes Juliusz
Is this correct? If so, what's next?

x(t)= x0+V0+at2/2
t=√2x/√a
t=12.12

Also, how do I format division as a fraction here? Thanks!

You can also think of Change in velocity during these equal intervals of time.

Juliusz said:
Is this correct? If so, what's next?

x(t)= x0+V0+at2/2
t=√2x/√a
t=12.12

Also, how do I format division as a fraction here? Thanks!

If you take ##g = 10/s^2## then the time is exactly ##12s##.

In any case, now you have the total to time isn't the next step obvious? Divide the motion into three equal parts, it said.

Likes Juliusz
I looked at the answer, ant it is 80m, 240m, 400m. I can't see how I can figure that out by knowing the total time

Juliusz said:
I looked at the answer, ant it is 80m, 240m, 400m. I can't see how I can figure that out by knowing the total time
Divide the total time into thirds (as PeroK told you) and find the position at times t/3 and 2t/3.

Likes Juliusz
t1=12
t2=8
t3=4

x(t)=a*t2/2

x(t1)=10*122/2=720
x(t2)=10*82/2=320
x(t3)=10*42/2=80

I think I did what you two were suggesting, but I still got a bad answer for t2. Maybe I made a wrong assumption somewhere?

Last edited:
Juliusz said:
t1=12
t2=8
t34

x(t)=a*t2/2

x(t1)=10*122/2=720
x(t2)=10*82/2=320
x(t3)=10*42/2=80

I think I did what you two were suggesting, but I still got a bad answer for t2. Maybe I made a wrong assumption somewhere?
Think about what those distances mean.

PeroK said:
Think about what those distances mean.
They mean the distance fallen by the body after a certain amount of time

Juliusz said:
They mean the distance fallen by the body after a certain amount of time
So how far did the object fall between t3 and t2 (for example)?

Likes Juliusz
Visualize the problem and the path. Re-read the question. You are just applying the formula blindly and thinking that this formula will give me that answer. You are almost there. Then you are not confident of what you are doing; you say, "I did what you told me" still I am not getting answer. Now just think visualize coolly and alone and get the answer.

Likes Juliusz, Doc Al and Vatsal Goyal
Doc Al said:
So how far did the object fall between t3 and t2 (for example)?
I get it now, thanks! The body fell 80 meters in the first 4 seconds, then another 240 meters (which is 320-80) in the following 4 seconds. And then, in the last 4 seconds it fell 400 meters, which is 720-320m. Thanks for the help everyone!

Likes Let'sthink and PeroK
Yay! :thumbup:

Juliusz said:
I get it now, thanks! The body fell 80 meters in the first 4 seconds, then another 240 meters (which is 320-80) in the following 4 seconds. And then, in the last 4 seconds it fell 400 meters, which is 720-320m. Thanks for the help everyone!
Good now can you write down a general formula for finding distance traveled between any time t1 and t2, that is for the time interval (t2-t1)? Think it over.

What is a free fall object problem?

A free fall object problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object that is experiencing free fall due to the force of gravity. In these problems, we assume that air resistance is negligible and that the only force acting on the object is gravity.

What is the formula for calculating the position of a free fall object?

The formula for calculating the position of a free fall object is y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where y is the final position, y0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and t is the time elapsed.

How do you determine the velocity of a free fall object?

The velocity of a free fall object can be determined using the formula v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed. This formula assumes that the initial velocity is 0, since the object starts from rest.

What is the acceleration of a free fall object?

The acceleration of a free fall object is always 9.8 m/s2, regardless of the mass or size of the object. This is because all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity, regardless of their weight or size.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a free fall object?

In free fall object problems, we assume that air resistance is negligible, meaning that it has no significant effect on the motion of the object. This is because air resistance only becomes significant when the object is moving at high speeds, which is not the case in most free fall problems. However, in real-life scenarios, air resistance can play a role in the motion of a free fall object.